Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Deck for Infinity Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Default New Deck for Infinity Sound System

I am looking to replace my head unit in my 04 Outie that has the Infinity sound system with the amp under the driver's seat. A few car guys at Best Buy say that I may not be able to use my amp but they can't say until they go to do the install. Has anyone had this issue? Is there an easy way to find out without having to take apart too much of the interior? I 'd rather not have to buy a new amp.

Thanks for the input. These Forums are great. I used to be involved in one for my Jeep Grand Cherokee (recently sold). I got lots of useful information.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 PM
JMC
Default RE: New Deck for Infinity Sound System

You'll be able to use it if the person who puts the head unit in knows what the hell is going on.....

Old 09-01-2005, 12:41 PM

if the amps plug directly into the head unit, then no you will not be able to use the amps. if they are into the wiring harness then by all means go ahead and do it. personally, i would just remove the amps and stock speakers, replace the headunit with some more power and put some aftermarket door speakers. I think you would get a much clearer sound with this and you save some weight. I am in the process of taking my headunit out with my 6disc in dash changer and replacing it with a pioneer face. I have tried this on two 6x9's and i loved the sound, so i can only imagine what it will sound like with the bass and 3 sets of speakers. 4 mids 2 highs and 2 lows. oh man, i thinks i just shat myself thinking how good it is going to sound. if you have any questions or comments or want to buy the 6 disc let me know.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:21 PM
JMC

That amp is pretty good if yr gonna keep the stock speakers....go wiring harness.

Old 09-02-2005, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the input. I think I understand the connection issue now. I just need to remove the plastic cover over the amp and see what type of connection it has. At this point I do not want to spend any money replacing speakers. I already have a sweet Pioneer unit that was in my old Jeep. I just figured if I already had a nice power amp, why remove it and only run off the head unit amp? Worst case I'll do that until I am ready to buy an amp and new speakers. My first goal is to be able to play mp3 and wma files in my Outie. Does the infinity system have a base unit? I thought it was just the 6 speakers. That is what the sticker has on it. It doesn't mention a sub. I haven't really looked around to see if there is one. That would be cool. My wife's new Durango has an 8 speaker system with a sub and it sounds incredible for a stock system.

Thanks again for the info.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:56 PM
JMC

Sounds good....let us know what happens!

Old 09-04-2005, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: OhioOutie

Thanks for the input. I think I understand the connection issue now. I just need to remove the plastic cover over the amp and see what type of connection it has. At this point I do not want to spend any money replacing speakers. I already have a sweet Pioneer unit that was in my old Jeep. I just figured if I already had a nice power amp, why remove it and only run off the head unit amp? Worst case I'll do that until I am ready to buy an amp and new speakers. My first goal is to be able to play mp3 and wma files in my Outie. Does the infinity system have a base unit? I thought it was just the 6 speakers. That is what the sticker has on it. It doesn't mention a sub. I haven't really looked around to see if there is one. That would be cool. My wife's new Durango has an 8 speaker system with a sub and it sounds incredible for a stock system.

Thanks again for the info.
IF your headunit requires an amp, then by all means get the amp first. BUT if it doesnt, place the head unit you have + 4 new door speakers AND get a set of tweeters for the door (where the side mirrors are) if it doesnt already have it. the sound quality from stock improves greatly with just the new HU, adding the speakers and tweet will make it rock. if you like a cheap sub with decent performance I suggest a bazooka tube.