Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Outlander Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Default New Outlander Impressions

I've been a long time lurker and I would like to throw my 2 cents in the pot and contribute for any other future Outlander buyers.....

After 3 weeks, I'm am happy to be the proud owner of the Outlander. My fuel mileage is getting better each week. Off the lot, I was getting around 13mpg in mixed driving. The engine is starting to loosen up and we are now seeing 25mpg in mixed driving. I'm very happy with this generation engine - In time when the Evo hits the aftermarket, hopefully we will see some bits and pieces that will fit.

Some complaints I read about were the ride - I find it quite smooth for the most part. Yes, if you are driving in downtown Austin with all of the potholes you will feel the bumps, but who doesn't. Fuel mileage, yes if you have a lead foot you are going to get crappy mileage - just like any other car. Fit and finish - my cabin is quite tight and I can live with the materials they used to make the dash. The 3rd row.... I didn't buy this for the 3rd row but it's there when I need it - I sat back there and I wouldn't want to be there for a long road trip, but it will be good when my 17month old gets older and I'm transporting kids back and forth.

My wife loves it and she doesn't care for SUV/CUVs. In her words, 'it drives and moves like a car and not a lumbering truck' which means that I won't get to drive it as much as I thought!

Old 10-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Default RE: New Outlander Impressions

Welcome, and congrats on the new Outie!

Old 10-08-2007, 02:39 PM

whoa you get 25 mpg already? hmm when i first got my outlander, my mpg was only closely as yours. So im at 5200 miles now and I only get 23-24mpg. Does weather affect the gas milage? I live in washington state and its starting to get cold. During the few weeks of driving to break it in, i got like 28.6 mpg [sm=insomnia.gif]i was in shock....but soon after I refill my gas tank, then it goes back to 23-24mpg until now.

Does anyone know why my mpg was at 28.6 at that time? How can my outtie stay at 28.6like that lifetime?

man i drove 400 miles in mixed driving in a full gas of tank @ 28.6mpg once...

Now I can only drive 321-330 miles on a gas tank...woopppee[:-]

and CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW OUTIE!!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Tufduck-
You should make sure you have the current program in the ecm and tcm. I had mine flashed and it made a huge difference on gas mileage added 3-4mpg. I have an October 06 build.

If you broke in the engine like an old lady then you would have seen higher mpg. I break my engines with varied driving so I dont see any difference in mpg, it actually went up after the first oil change but only to about 21-22 mpg until the reflash of the control modules.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 PM

bold, so what is your average mpg now? on my last thread post, mine was a may 07 build.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Ive burned 2 tanks sincebut screwed up one of them and part of the other was through the mountains of West Virginia. That one was 25 mpg.
When I filled the last time the miles left was in the 400 miles when it was always 320 before.

I think the cut off is May 31 and June 1st for the TSBs depending on the drive configuration. If you look in the other TSB thread you should be able to find the dates for sure.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Congrats on the buy.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 AM

You guys and your MPG! I have no idea how those figures compare - but in my first few weeks with my new Outie, I got as low as 8 litres/100km for freeway driving, and general city driving I'm getting around 12 litres/100km. All up not too bad - I traded up from a 2001 TJ Magna Sports which chewed about 14 litres/100km on average in day to day driving.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:03 AM

So far my only complaints are the lack of power and the steering is a bit too tight. It seems when I'm driving on interstate it's work to keep it in a straight line. Maybe it's the tires combined with the grooves in the road but it's something. Around town it rides and drives like a car and I love. My MPG is about 25mpg on trips and 19mpg around town. Very acceptable.

Overall I bought it for the wife and she loves it. That's what matters I guess.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 AM
ash

You should get the UK version, I'm getting about 35mpg out of mine.

Quick Reply: New Outlander Impressions