Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New pads again? Also front rattling

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:54 AM
Default New pads again? Also front rattling

I replaced the rear pads on my 2016 Outlander ES at 57439 miles a little over a year ago (14months) and already at 82k they are squealing like crazy. I bought the Bendix Premium Copper Free Brake Pads off Amazon so maybe they’re softer but dang only 25k miles, that seems low, is it the pads or what? I replaced the front pads (Duralast Max)!shortly before that at 56k miles and they are not bad yet so it seems weird. I know I said it’s my Outlander but my wife drives it 99% of the time as a daily and by the mileage you can tell she drives the heck out of it, daily. 🤣 Anything else I should be looking for? It’s all caught up on recalls and I put new tires/alignment on last winter (Goodyear LS2). I do all my own work because I am a 20+ year mechanic so I know it’s done right by modern day standards. Maybe these Copper free pads are just soft?

Also the front brakes rattle going over bumps when brakes are not being used; so is there anything I should change versus new pads, hardware, and rotors next time?

This car (sorry SUV, my wife calls it a truck) has been great for us so far. I’ve only had to replace the brakes and I change oil every 3-4K with Mobil 1 oil and filter every time. And of course I change both air filters yearly.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:06 PM

AKEBONO pads. A lot of so called premium pads are junk. Are your pistons free? did you clean the skirts so they move freely? put new pads on drive it around and try not to use the brakes, coast to a stop where you can then feel the rotors or calipers, if hot you have binding which requires a caliper rebuild or new ones. If you are careful and fill the caliper if possible before installation you may just get away without a bleed, but if not your bleed would only be at the caliper.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:11 AM

that clattering is the pad clips, happens to mine every other year, I just bend them to be tight and slip the pads back in, viola, no more rattly bumps - if you do want to replace, the hardware's pretty cheap (some kits even include them with the pin boots)