Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Newly purchased Outlander Qs and complaints

Old 01-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Default Newly purchased Outlander Qs and complaints

Ok overall we like the vehicle (2012 outlander SE 4cyl) but a few things I've noticed that bother me.

1. The MPG tracking resets every time we drive it and when I try to change to be manually reset it goes back to auto reset.
2. The service reminder mileage is wrong but no matter what I do I cant get it to reset even though I am following what the manual says to a tee.
3. KBB etc. says that this vehicle should get up to 27-28 MPG but I cant break 24 MPG and usally get around 22MPG which is horrible IMO
4. The vehicle doesn't warm up well in cold weather. It's January in Maine so it's been very cold (0 to 30F degrees). The vehicle seems to take a LONG time to warm up and when its really cold out struggles to even heat the cabin up nice and toasty. There is no temperature degree readings on the dash, just the bar readout. For what it is worth when it is really cold out instead of being in the middle between H and C (where I'm guessing it should be) it is down at like 1/3 up.
5. Squeaky noise when I hit a bump. There is a annoying squeaky noise coming from somewhere in the back end when ever I hit a bump or pot hole. The spare tire or the jack maybe???
6. Burning oil or burning rubber odor after a long ride. It seems like after the vehicle has been run for a while and is hot when you stop for a while like at a drive thru, or shut the vehicle, off you can smell something that smells like rubber burning or maybe oil burning smell. The oil got changed a long time ago, the oil level is fine, and there are no oil stains on the ground where I park the vehicle.???
7. Last but not least some things about the vehicle seem chintzy. Like the arm rest with the thin black t-shirt material on them, the doors that sound tinee and hollow when you shut them, the engine and wind noise in the cabin.

Anyone else had any of these problems or know what could cause them?

Old 01-28-2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Wyld Bill
Ok overall we like the vehicle (2012 outlander SE 4cyl) but a few things I've noticed that bother me.

1. The MPG tracking resets every time we drive it and when I try to change to be manually reset it goes back to auto reset.
2. The service reminder mileage is wrong but no matter what I do I cant get it to reset even though I am following what the manual says to a tee.
3. KBB etc. says that this vehicle should get up to 27-28 MPG but I cant break 24 MPG and usally get around 22MPG which is horrible IMO
4. The vehicle doesn't warm up well in cold weather. It's January in Maine so it's been very cold (0 to 30F degrees). The vehicle seems to take a LONG time to warm up and when its really cold out struggles to even heat the cabin up nice and toasty. There is no temperature degree readings on the dash, just the bar readout. For what it is worth when it is really cold out instead of being in the middle between H and C (where I'm guessing it should be) it is down at like 1/3 up.
5. Squeaky noise when I hit a bump. There is a annoying squeaky noise coming from somewhere in the back end when ever I hit a bump or pot hole. The spare tire or the jack maybe???
6. Burning oil or burning rubber odor after a long ride. It seems like after the vehicle has been run for a while and is hot when you stop for a while like at a drive thru, or shut the vehicle, off you can smell something that smells like rubber burning or maybe oil burning smell. The oil got changed a long time ago, the oil level is fine, and there are no oil stains on the ground where I park the vehicle.???
7. Last but not least some things about the vehicle seem chintzy. Like the arm rest with the thin black t-shirt material on them, the doors that sound tinee and hollow when you shut them, the engine and wind noise in the cabin.

Interesting things for me to note here as I'm considering a used 2013 SE or GT Outlander.

I'd say for number 4. that surely sounds like a thermostat. It may not be opening all the way when its warmed up. That could also slightly lower your mpg. Also something to keep in mind when the weather is cold such as 0-30f you tend to use more electrics such as heater, defrost, lights, and wipers essentially using more power and gas. I live in Michigan and every winter no matter what car I drive (I currently have two older Volvo's) the mileage always suffers. Also check your tire pressure. Over inflate them by just a couple lbs and see that helps.

5. Is the noise inside or outside?

6. You could have the slightest oil drip or blow by dripping on a hot manifold or exhaust. I'm not sure if these Outlanders have a pcv valve but you may want to look into getting that replaced.

7. Wind noise in the cabin, check the rubber seals around all the doors to make sure they are properly attached. Check the trim and seal around the windshield as well.

best of luck

Old 01-28-2015, 09:05 AM

Id be curious as to what the mileage is and how well its been maintained before you purchased. Many of these things IMO could be maintenance related. Id get a thorough inspection to be sure.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wyld Bill

1- That's just how it works. If you are running errands, it will keep the MPG from stop to stop. But if you let it set, say overnight, then it will auto reset. My Subaru keeps total MPG based on trip counter...so you can see MPG over the life of a fill up or just ongoing.
2- I've found that it works off of a set schedule. For instance, I keep mine set to remind every 7500 miles as my wife did a lot of highway traveling. Now that I have it, I was going to go to a 5000 mile interval. I did this by setting the service reminders off, then turnning them back on for 5000 mile intervals. My odometer was at 157500 and I got it set to 5000 mile OCI. When it then displayed how many miles remaining until service, it said 2500. So it has its own set intervals that the service reminder wants to get you settle on. It must like nice round numbers. My plan is to go 7500 miles until it reads 165k, then change it to 5000 miles...then everyone is happy. :/
3- It all depends on your driving style and route. My wife had lots of higway and got about 24MPG. She drives like a bat out of hell, so I know she's going 70+. When I drive, I notice I can get 28+ when going 60-65 (through St Louis on I-64)...going 70, it falls to 24-25. I drive in the city/suburbs for my commute and using cruise religously, when it is really cold, I get 15. If it is warmer, I can get up to 20MPG. On that route, half is 30MPH, 1/4 is 35mph, then 1/4 is 40mph. So the outlander is not great in town...but does well on highways.
4- Not sure about what kind of phone/tablet you might have, but you can buy an inexpensive bluetooth dongle, then use an OBDII application to read the data. For android, the applications that come to mind are Torque and/or Piston. There you can read temp data.
5- Sounds like either drying ball joints or strut tower bearings/bushings. No kidding, mine has been doing this since 68k miles. I've tried injecting the ball joints with fresh grease with minimal success.
6- I smelled that once or twice. it went away on it own. never found out what it was.
7- yep...you can get sound deadening material and install in the cabin for the engine/road noise...and may help the door noise. I honestly don't think it sounds that bad...at least on my vehicle.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:39 AM

1. That's fixable, ETACS programming is required though.
3. Mileage greatly depend on driving conditions.
Something is wrong with either vehicle or driver if you're not able to reach 25+ mpg on highway driving (at least what I get with my 3.0)

Overall looks like you got a lemon.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 PM

I can only give you answers to the following:

3. This depends on temperatures and distance travelled/traffic speed. Due to your answer to #4, I would say its normal to lose quite a bit of mileage due to winter grade gasoline and temperatures.
4. That is "normal" due to the oversized radiator. What I do is floor it the first couple of stops, this warms the engine up quickly or limit to 3 or 4th gear depending on speed until it warms up. You may want to look at covering parts of the radiator, especially with the new front design Outlanders.
5. I've had this for a year or two on my 2008 LS; been ignoring it seems its only on really big speed bumps.
6. That is "normal" for me as well. Been like that from the start, and its used to smell more initially. I also noticed this on a Lancer as well.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Ok good to hear that it's not just me.
I have to decide if I'm just going to live with the squeak noise.
I'm wondering if the odor is from the muffler hangers