Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

No Reverse on Manual Gearbox : Top Tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 09:37 AM
Default No Reverse on Manual Gearbox : Top Tip

Just thought I'd share my recent experience on my 2012 Outlander GX4 Diesel with 6 Speed Manual Gearbox.

I took it into my local garage yesterday for an oil change and when I collected it later on I tried to drive off I was unable to select reverse, forward gears were fine so I feared the worst thinking it was a failed gearbox.

I went in and they said that odd we reversed it in and out a couple of times, then one of the mechanics said, hmm let me just check something.

He jumped in and fixed it in 5 seconds.

It turns out that on the test drive after doing the oil change his OCD compelled him to turn the gearbox **** round to line it up as it had spun round slightly and was crooked.

Sure enough if you unscrew the **** 1 turn it prevents you selecting reverse, turn it back and hey presto all sorted.

Later I called my local Dealer they said its not a deliberate anti theft design feature, there are no recalls on this vehicle and that they had never heard of this before.

I Googled it and there is no mention of this anywhere, so I thought I'd post this in case someone else has the same issue and wants the fix