Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

OEM roof rack cross bars: feet not sitting flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Default OEM roof rack cross bars: feet not sitting flush

Hello,

fist post here.
I have a 2015 Outlander and I have bout the OEM crossbars MZ314635

The installation manual that came with it (that I have lost in the meantime and cannot find online) shows clearly that the feet should be sitting flush with the rails on the inside.
This seems completely impossible due to the position of the pins. The only possibility I see is bending the part of the metal that goes toward the outside to allow the foot to sit lower on the rail and having the pins completely inside the holes (on the inside of the rail)

Another thing I though about is cutting off the pins. This way it will become like the KIT4030 Thule Roof Rack Fit Kit, and it will be also adjustable in position along the rail.

I don't have pictures at the moment, but the final result of what I have is exactly what they show NOT to do.
Did anybody here had to modify the feet?

thank you
Marco

Old 03-22-2018, 11:35 AM

Here's a link to the picture of mine:
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...s-48522/page3/

I don't see how this can fit without sitting flush. Not sure if the 2015 is a little different from my 2016, and not sure if the crossbars are different. Pictures might help see what the issue is. I suspect you have the wrong kit for your rails, but again, not sure without seeing it.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:43 AM

thank you for the picture. Mine also sit flush from the top, I was not very clear
It is the inside part that vertically is not flush with the rail. Basically the pins are not completely inside the holes

Marco

Old 03-23-2018, 03:53 PM

I think I understand. Mine are like that too, but it's not a lot of room. It just looks like the tolerances are not perfect since these fit kits fit a number of different cars. They are made by Thule so they aren't exactly perfectly customized to Mitsubishi rails. I'm pretty **** about these things, but it wasn't enough for me to fuss about it. I tested strength and that's just how they are. If you still want reassurance, I would go to the dealer and see if they have a rack installed on a car. I'd be surprised if it were perfectly flush.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:10 PM

ok. I am not 100% confident because if you see a picture of the thule 4030 for our car, since they do not have the pins, it is completely nice and flat against the inside of the rails

See attached for my car.

Thanks

Marco

Attached Thumbnails OEM roof rack cross bars: feet not sitting flush-mitsubishi.jpg  
Old 03-24-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Marco Tedde
ok. I am not 100% confident because if you see a picture of the thule 4030 for our car, since they do not have the pins, it is completely nice and flat against the inside of the rails

See attached for my car.

Thanks

Marco
That picture you show for your car is how it looks on my Outlander. What does it look like on yours? If that's actually your Outlander, it's the same as mine, and it's good enough for me for the reasons I gave above.