Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

OEM transfer case and diff fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 04:54 PM

Kombs........Well, you have me totally perplexed at this point. Im looking at the pictures, and have the following comments:

Pic 1: Shows what appears to be either the fill plug or drain plug...its either an Allen Head or Torx Head bolt. Is the picture taken at the right perspective......is this plug on the bottom, top, or side?? If its on the bottom, then it must be the drain plug. The fill plug usually is about half way up so you cant over-fill it.

Pic 2/3: Is this long "tube canal" which has the bolt missing....is it on the bottom of the transfer case? If so, it must be the drain. However, its odd that they would design it to be such a long tube instead of more of a flush mounted drain plug. Very odd in my opinion. Do you have a shop manual, or have searched online for a manual showing where the plugs are? Is it possible they have a 12 mm bolt which you removed, and then you have to unscrew another plug inside that???

Another thought is that the 12mm bolt that you removed does nothing, but just covers up the threads, and that threaded "canal" is used for some type of optional equipment on some models? Or, maybe for a lift point???
Send us some more info, and maybe someone else will chime in with an answer.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:02 PM

The first picture is the drain plug on the bottom of the transfer case. The next two pictures are taken from the passenger side of the vehicle. They are of the same area just slightly different angles. If you were to remove the exhaust pipe in the last two photos you would see the drain plug behind it. There was no bolt in the long tube canal when I jacked up the car. From what I can tell it is a dead end(wouldn’t take fluid either). I removed the 12mm from the hole that is to the left in the picture. There is no inner plug, it’s a very narrow bolt(M8x1.25). I was able to remove one of the top bolts from the service plate and get about 13 ounces of fluid into the T-case before it started to spill out. Drove it to the dealership and had them fill in the remainder. Pretty flummoxed though about not being able to locate the fill hole.

Last edited by kombs; 03-01-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:19 PM

Kombs......Now I follow you. So you found the drain plug, and had no problem draining the fluid. I can see that the small 12 mm bolt that you removed (left of that canal) is a dead end, and just a standard bolt holding the cases together. So, there was no bolt in that "canal tube" to begin with.....so, must be for something optional.

Too bad you did not ask the mechanic to show you exactly where the fill plug is so you will know next time. If you plan on keeping the rig for a good amount of time, I would recommend getting a shop manual. I wish someone with hands-on experience with your model would chime in and comment.....guess they are all on vacation.

Glad you got the fluid in, but Im sure the "stealership" charged you an arm/leg just to add a quart of 75W90.
Have a "crackin good" weekend, mate.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:27 PM

My wife had to drive it or else I would have asked about it. I work third shift so I was working on it after work this morning so that she could drive it down there. They charged less than the normal cost of a normal transfer case service since I had already done 3/4 the work and had the fluid on hand. I’ve had the car for 5 years now and it’s all paid for so i plan on keeping it much longer. Only 110,000 miles and every bit of service of it is up to date. Never had an issue with it so it will be around for a long time. Had 230,000 miles on my Montero Sport that was still going strong that I traded in on this. I will look at getting the service manual but I’ve never needed one before :/ Have a good weekend too! Thanks for the input!

Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 PM

Kombs.......I much prefer the simple drain and fill plugs on my 94 Montero SR:

Rear Diff (Pumpkin), Draining Diesel for flush:

Rear Diff, adding fresh oil:

Front Diff, adding fresh: Drain plug on the bottom.

Transfer Case, Drain:

Transfer Case, Fill Plug:

Old 03-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by kombs
My wife had to drive it or else I would have asked about it. I work third shift so I was working on it after work this morning so that she could drive it down there. They charged less than the normal cost of a normal transfer case service since I had already done 3/4 the work and had the fluid on hand. I’ve had the car for 5 years now and it’s all paid for so i plan on keeping it much longer. Only 110,000 miles and every bit of service of it is up to date. Never had an issue with it so it will be around for a long time. Had 230,000 miles on my Montero Sport that was still going strong that I traded in on this. I will look at getting the service manual but I’ve never needed one before :/ Have a good weekend too! Thanks for the input!
Ok, at least the "stealership" did not totally slam you on it. Since you normally dont need the Shop Manual, you may be able to find one online which is free, or down-loadable for $10. But I prefer having the real copy, something I can put my hands on and not run to the computer with my greasey hands looking for info.
Take care.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:44 PM

They’ve definitely packed a lot of things into the small frame of the outlander that makes things hard to get to at times. At least the rear diff was pretty painless to change the fluid in. My truck is much more friendly to work on. My wife and I both love the Outlander. Hands down the most reliable vehicle I’ve owned and does pretty well on gas. Nice to haul my baby boy around in as well and performs outstanding in the snow. We’ve only put about 4,000 miles on it in the last year.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1960StudebakerHawk
Ok, at least the "stealership" did not totally slam you on it. Since you normally dont need the Shop Manual, you may be able to find one online which is free, or down-loadable for $10. But I prefer having the real copy, something I can put my hands on and not run to the computer with my greasey hands looking for info.
Take care.
It was $60 total, so about the cost of a tank of gas in my truck.