Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Transfer case and diff fluids

Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Default Transfer case and diff fluids

Did the 2002 full size Montero come with standard or synthetic fluid in the transfer case and diff's? I want to change now and can't find this info.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Mineral oils with additives for transfer case and rear LSD.

Mineral oil for front and rear non-LSD.

If you are doing this yourself please read the following to ensure you are aware of the SAE J306 Specifications changes affecting SAE 90 fluids.

http://www.lubrizol.com/DrivelineAdd...fications.html

Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM

I am running Amsoil 80W-90 in both diffs. The LSD has performed perfectly without any additives.
For the transfer case, I chose the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-80. Gear selection is smoother and has less lag time than ever before.
Good Luck

Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Thanks everyone. I've been an Amsoil guy for 25 years and was considering that for the change. Mr. Z, you helped make my decision for me. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer case and diff fluids

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.