Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil change on a Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM

For people the US the following is a good read and no I don't even use Amsoil myself. I will say I have a 1995 Integra that I bought brand new that has 252k miles on the clock. I've done every oil change myself with conventional 5w-30 (mostly Mobile) and there's not a hint of sludge (just changed my 3rd timing belt) nor does it smoke or use oil. I have always changed the oil at 3k miles. I haven't changed the oil on my Sport yet as it's just at 2k miles, but if I'm going to use synthetic it'll be changed every 7500 miles as the US maintenance book suggests although I'm still on the fence about just sticking to my routine with conventional. I live in Florida and feel 5w-20 conventional will be fine with the mild climate. I fully understand that everyone needs to do whatever helps them sleep at night though.

Truth about 5w-20 and 0W-20 Motor Oil - technical facts

Last edited by rzracer; 09-21-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 PM

When i went for my first oil change on my 2011 outlander sport at the dealer i asked him about synthetic oil, his reply was it shouldn't be used until you reach 15,000 miles

Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by grumpyrom
$89 plus tax for the synthetic at the dealer which is pretty much in line with every other oil change place around here. Basically $25 for the labour and filter, $55 for 5 litres of 0W20. Unless I can find the 0W20 on sale which it hasnt been since Ive started looking then theres not much money to be saved doing it myself anyways. Looking at what $20 tops in saved labour cost? Not worth it to me on a new vehicle. Ive changed my own oil on my old beater truck but cant be bothered on a brand new vehicle. Id rather have the oil change record on their file should any issues arrive. Ive had issues in the past with non automotive warranty claims and I know that insurers will always look for ANY out possible. Why give them any opportunity just to save a few hundred dollars over the lifetime of the vehicle?
You're paying way too much for your oil/filters!! Approx $25 for Mobil 1 5/20 from Walmart. Approx $7 for a Purolator Pureone filter.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 AM

That was the cost at the dealer for the oil/filter. Pretty much the same as the going rate for 0W20 anywhere around my neck of the woods (Manitoba). Seems like the OW20 never goes on sale even though you can often find 5W20 cheap. For me personally I'll just stick with the 0W20 since that is the only weight recommended for for vehicles operated in Canada as per the owners manual. Im sure the 5W would be just fine as its the same weight at operating temp but why give them any opportunity to try and deny something in the future? Again for me its just not worth it to save $20-30 every 3 months.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 AM

Free oil changes for life from the dealer I bought my Outie Sport from!

And free tire roations for life.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM

just use the recomended oil & you should have no problem. just make sure you keep the documentation for any warranty work if any problems arise. & don't listen to these hacks who change their oil at 500 miles & at every 3,000 miles. you'll be doing more harm than good changing it early & wasting money at the same time. the first oil change is the most important. the factory puts in a special addative to help with break in & debris removal & if you take it out early you can cause unseen damage to the rings that cause problems down the road. this isn't your dads 1985 buick.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by tcp
There is something called the magnuson-moss warranty act. The only way mitsu could deny warranty coverage is if the engine failure was due to the actual belt failing. Any other issues would still be warranted. Please familiarize yourself:

Magnuson

If you've "seen this happen a couple of times", it might be a good idea to let the victims know and start a claim in court.

Do you think a certified mechanic changes your oil at the dealership? Seriously? It is the lowest paid shop rat that gets to overfill your engine and overtorque your drain plug, while soiling your seats, dripping oil all over your exhaust and stealing your change.
Screw the change! I had some troglodyte steal a $50 flashlight out of my car when I was getting it serviced. And I didn't notice until I had gotten thr oil changed two more times at two different places so I didn't even know who to scream at.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Default conflicts on oil change

Hi, I live in Puerto Rico. I own a 2011 outlander sport ASX which I bought in Dec 2011. I have already clocked 21,000 miles and its only 1yr and 2 months since I bought it. I must say that it is mostly highway miles as I travel 100 miles total a day to and from work. The car dealer insist on oil changes every 3/3000 miles. Question is, should I be changing oil (Synthetic) and filter both mitsubichi products every 3,000 or every 7,500? different mitsubichi dealers tell me different schedules. Can any one help?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 PM

if you HAVE to do 3k mile intervals, I'd definitely go non-synthetic...else you'll be wasting your money. And I'd also get a good filter and change that out every other change.

Honestly, I'd call customer service. I imagine you'd fall under Mitsubishi Motors North America. I'd give them a call.

I've done Used Oil Analysis tests and found my sweet spot at 7500 miles using Pennzoil Platinum and purolator filters. Since you do a lot of highway miles, you are going easy on that oil.