Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Default RE: Oil changes

ORIGINAL: tufduck

true. i am not using synthetic on my outie right now. im only at 3200 miles. after 10k, i will switch over to syntehtic.

btw, i just added a quart of oil to my outie since im just breaking in the car and the oil level was pretty low when i checked. but is it ok since i spilled some oil and it drips near the spark plug? When i turn on the engine; it gets warm and the oil began to burn off. is that ok?
Its fine and Im sure it wont be the last time I could tell you stories that are much much worse, just make sure you remember to put the oil filler cap back on [:@]

Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 AM

I have yet to buy into the whole "don't use synthetic before XX miles, etc." position. I have used synthetic in all my vehicles and bikes for the past 18 years from day one. Granted none of the engines were pre-89 but I have not had any problems thus far.

I hate oil debates so I won't have one. Oil is like religion - YMMV.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:55 AM

lol thanks. im just afraid since this is my first outie.

doh! i just forgot and I am kinda worried right now. When i checked my dipstick and the indication oil that it was halfway (between the 2 dots/holes) i just put in a quart of oil. is it ok though or too much?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:41 AM

I was trying to start a huge debate over oil I just was curious on who was going for the 7500 mile mark or keeping it at 3000. I was just amazed at the oil being clean still at 3000 miles.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 AM

Did you check it warm and did you check it after you added a quart? Were you on a level surface?

Its unlikely it needed a quart unless theres a problem with the engine but if you didnt check it when you got it you wouldnt know what it started out with.
Usually the entire space between the marks is 1 quart, however I usually add a small amount then check then add then check until Im happy.

If you overfilled then change the oil now, dont try draining any its just a mess. Youll also want to pick a brand of oil and use that brand and weight to top off.

Dont feel bad my husband didnt have much knowledge about cars, he does know which fork to use at a fancy resturaunt though. Sometimes you only know what your parents felt was necessary

I had a festiva that held 3 qts total oil. He was driving it I told him it had a leak and to make sure he kept the oil topped off. He was checking it in the garage that dips to the front left tire. It ended up with 5 quarts total in it by the time he was done "adding" oil. It went that way for some time and didnt hurt it.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-04-2007, 09:49 AM

Well I can tell you that I have a '93 Chevy truck with a 350 at 108,000 miles that had synthetic for most of its miles.
It now has blow by on deceleration and hard acceleration under load. I'm not happy about that and have started to wonder if its because of the synthetic too early.

Another interesting thought I had was related to Mobil1 change in their formula, it is no longer a true synthetic oil. Its put in some cars out of the factory I wonder if they changed the formula so the rings would seat properly without admitting full synthetic from day 1 is a problem. Just a thought.

It is funny how hot oil topics can get, I even had a guy at Walmart spend an hour telling me all he knows about oil, fuel additives and filters from his Audi website buddies.

Im always open to suggestions, right now I run Shell Rotella synthetic in my motorcycles and Castrol synthetic (which the Audi guy approved of) in my truck I don't go by the miles before change I change it 2x a year because it doesn't get enough miles usually.

I still haven't decided on an oil for the outie, the first change was at the dealer I'm still under 5K gotta decide soon.

It may be base formula castrol, I ran that in my miniban and it held up even with coolant in the oil at 90K I traded it in it at 140K still saw no blow by at all and I used to tow my boat with it. Its also in the POS Alero with 98K on it.
Both were changed between 6-7K never at 3K.

Let us know what you decide.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-04-2007, 12:15 PM

hahahallololol thanks for the great story.

yea i heard about "oil" can be a lot of debates. but hey, funny things just pop up from people to people.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM

The 3000 mileinterval is overkill . This is from the days when motor oil wasn't refined nearly as well and had a lot of paraffin (wax) in it, which would start gunking up about this time.

Mitsubishi says 6 months or 7500 (for normal driving)and is giving us 100K mile warranties...so they must be pretty confident in it..especially since replacing an engine isn't a cheap fix. However, I'll say that 7500 seems like alot of miles..I usually did between 6 and 7 thousand in my Saturn, because that's when the change light came on.

Oil will turn dark well before it's useful life is over. Turning dark means its cleaning..so a newer car and a clean engine means it will take longer to turn dark

You can break in an engine with synthetic. They put it in as factory fill in Corvettes, and Porsches, among others

I plan on doing 6 months intervals (I only put about 1000-1200 a month on it) and I like to use synthetic since I do short trips

You can do 3000 mile intervals, it won't hurt..but I feel Ican give less money to the oil companies and not sacrifice my engine

Ulimately, do what you're comfortable with

Old 09-04-2007, 03:39 PM

btw, do i have to use the recommend oil 5w-20? Can I use like 5w-30 or 10w-20/30?
What do you guys recommend b/c I am moving to North Dakota for schoolpretty soon and it's really cold there.

Also, after ND, I'll be moving to Houston, TX. Again, what oil do you guys think?

Thanks alot.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:25 PM

Alot of oil debate. I think some took it alittle too far. So it seems just 1 other guy is with me going over 3000 miles so far.

Quick Reply: Oil changes