Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Default RE: Oil changes

After I get a few more miles on it Ill run longer intervals intentionally I do on my other cars 6-7K. For now they might be longer but Im trying for shorter.

Its like eating pink pork chops, the USDA says 140* is ok nowdaysbut its hard to get used to the idea when its been drilled into your head that it has to be grey and dry.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:58 PM

I guess I'll chime in for a bit. Although I'm no mechanic or Oil Guru

I use full synthetic in every vehicle I've owned, and have always changed it at the 3000-4000 mile mark. Oil will stain the aluminum heads and the darker (browner) it is, the worse off the vehicle looks. Oil also gets thicker and potentially cause lifter tick as well as not properly lubricate and help keep engine components cool. So I would say the 3000-5000 mile mark is the safest bet, while 7500 is extreme. Of course the type of driving one does is going to determine the way the oil looks anyway. You drive it hard, it's likely to become dark do to heat and the break down of it's chemical properties, or if you do a lot of stop and go (Los Angeles) traffic driving, that would also be driving it harder and considered outside of normal driving conditions.

Too me the cost of doing an oil change at $40 is a lot cheaper than that 100,000 warranty that just got voided because Mitsu decided to be fickle because your oil looks dark.Just because we have 100,000 powertrain warranties, doesn't mean Mitsu will honor everything that breaks. When it comes to costly repairs, those usually are the ones that are most scrutinized and have an actual Mitsu master mechanic inspection to figure out the cause before approval of the claim. This all being because of the long road to recovery after nearly bankrupting themselves and the overzealous Evo owners in a quest for more power.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 AM

I do the 3k change as well because I am **** about CHANGING oil becasue I drive my bikes and vehicles hard. I also get ****ty mileage but let me tell you I have fun! Give me a nice two lane twisty with no traffic andeithermy right foot's pegged or my right hand's cranked. The oil companies love me.

Now if I could find a decent tire for my FJR....

Old 09-05-2007, 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: tufduck

btw, do i have to use the recommend oil 5w-20? Can I use like 5w-30 or 10w-20/30?
What do you guys recommend b/c I am moving to North Dakota for schoolpretty soon and it's really cold there.

Also, after ND, I'll be moving to Houston, TX. Again, what oil do you guys think?

Thanks alot.
I'd use the 5w20 for sure in ND..I'd consider using the 5w30 during the summer in Houston, but you probably don't need to.

I've used both in a Honda engine and couldn't tell a difference. I think I read the fuel mileage difference is only 1 or 2 percent in lab conditions in favor of the 5w20, but that's pretty much impossible to tell in the real world

Old 09-05-2007, 10:52 AM

I'm not going to do 3k or 7.5k. I am going to be a non-conformist and go with a 5k oil change schedule. I will be doing the first one this weekend and will be putting synthetic in. Ihave done 4k in my GTI with synthetic since day one. I only do4kdue to it being a turbo and I drive it as hard as it can be driven. I use oil filters on the GTI as big as the old Ford truck filters which helps as well. It will hold almost an entire quart of oil.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:23 AM

thanks

Old 09-05-2007, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Fisherman

I'm not going to do 3k or 7.5k. I am going to be a non-conformist and go with a 5k oil change schedule. I will be doing the first one this weekend and will be putting synthetic in. Ihave done 4k in my GTI with synthetic since day one. I only do4kdue to it being a turbo and I drive it as hard as it can be driven. I use oil filters on the GTI as big as the old Ford truck filters which helps as well. It will hold almost an entire quart of oil.
REBEL!!!!!! hahaha

sounds good

Old 09-05-2007, 03:22 PM

in the UK mitsubishi will change the oil at 12500m or 12 months which ever comes first.

My outlanderhas 2.0 turbo diesel engine (vw)

I had looked at a nissan pathfinder diesel suv the service is due at 36000m or every 3 years this engine is made to burn oil so its really getting 2 oil changes in that time but they do say check the dip stick every week

puddy