Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil Changing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by Cali Duck
I'll admit AMSOIL is some quality oil, but its 25,000 or 1 year claim has got to be bogus. You've also got to replace your oil filter at least every 7500 miles if you're really going to extend your OCI that long...

It is called Technology.(Special nanofiber filtration and 100% synthetic oil) AMSOIL guarantees 25,000 miles or one year. We use it in all our vehicles Mitsubishi, Lexus, and Toyota. Years ago people thought airplanes were a joke now everyone flies. AMSOIL was the first 100% Synthetic oil.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
It is called Technology.(Special nanofiber filtration and 100% synthetic oil) AMSOIL guarantees 25,000 miles or one year. We use it in all our vehicles Mitsubishi, Lexus, and Toyota. Years ago people thought airplanes were a joke now everyone flies. AMSOIL was the first 100% Synthetic oil.
I'd like to see some UOAs done on some of those 25k mile OCIs. Just like everything, there is a time and place for everything. I'm sure you can go 25k mile on a normal engine that is highway driven. But your soccer mom that has a turbo in her SUV that rarely gets on the highway, she might get to 25K twice. I have a hard time believing those kind of blanket statements that one-size-fits-all.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
First change was at 3k miles and no burning. so far so good!
Keep an eye on it...I traded my 12' Impreza in for the 10' Outlander due to the oil consumption and needed more towing capacity.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:53 PM

I'd like to see some UOAs done on some of those 25k mile OCIs. Just like everything, there is a time and place for everything. I'm sure you can go 25k mile on a normal engine that is highway driven. But your soccer mom that has a turbo in her SUV that rarely gets on the highway, she might get to 25K twice. I have a hard time believing those kind of blanket statements that one-size-fits-all.
Agreed.

I'm seeing prices at about $11 US per qt for AMSOIL...I'll take the $25 5qt jug and change ever 7500...

Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Arrow

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic is the finest Synthetic oil and Filters in the World. Gone are the days of 3k oil changes with cheap conventional sludge and cardboard filters.(unless you like being milked.) If you look at the auto industry most oil changes are at 10k - 15k. You get what you pay for. If you want more information you can read it here 25,000-mile/one-year drain intervals

I have been using AMSOIL in my 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS since day one. Yearly cost with oil and filter $75 that's it, I also get a 6% savings in fuel.

Mobil 1 is trying to catch up to AMSOIL.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:02 AM

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic is the finest Synthetic oil and Filters in the World. Gone are the days of 3k oil changes with cheap conventional sludge and cardboard filters.(unless you like being milked.) If you look at the auto industry most oil changes are at 10k - 15k. You get what you pay for. If you want more information you can read it here 25,000-mile/one-year drain intervals

I have been using AMSOIL in my 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS since day one. Yearly cost with oil and filter $75 that's it, I also get a 6% savings in fuel.

Mobil 1 is trying to catch up to AMSOIL.
Nice promotion there of your storefront.

You are also skimming over the fine details.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf
PDF from Amsoil's site laying out intervals. They do recommend 25k for normal service and 15k miles for severe, but only if done within a year. Normal/Severe is defined by them as:
Normal Service defined as - Personal vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles at a time and not operating under severe service.
Gasoline Engine Severe Service defined as - Turbo/supercharged engines; commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; vehicles with 100,000 or more miles that will be using AMSOIL engine oil for the first time; daily short-trip driving less than 10 miles (16km); frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty-condition driving.
So let's do some math. 365 days in a year...and we have to hit 25k miles before 1 year is up. If you are driving that much let's say 20k miles is for work and 5k miles is for recreation/personal use. If 20k miles of that is commuting, 365-(52*2) is 261 days of commuting per year, assuming no vacation and no sick days. So 20k miles divided by 261 is 76 miles per day of commuting...so let's say 38 miles each way. Sounds a lot like my wife's commute actually. I believe any sane person doing such a commute would be doing so by highway, which is much easier on the engine and therefore the oil. Easier load on engine means relative longer OCIs, which is true for all oils.
For more fun, I now drive the outlander and work is 7 miles away, 100% city. I'll be lucky to turn 4k miles per year for work... I was doing 7.5k mile intervals using mobile1/penz_plat and my UOAs showed that was my sweet spot. With my trips now, I'm going to re-test at 5k. When I drove my Ranger, I tested at 5k miles, and test results stated maybe I could get 6k mile when using full syn oil...I stuck to 5k for a nice round number. Fuel dilution was the issue on that application. If my next change was to be Amsoil ALM, I'd have two strikes against me for severe maintenance: sub-10 mile trips and first time use over 100k miles on engine.

Without knowing driving style and conditions, making a blanket statement of 25k miles is irresponsible. There are members and I'm sure guests that come to these forums and take what is written here as gospel without applying conditions or details. Granted, that's on them, but why tempt them with big numbers without giving all the information so they can apply it to their conditions.

All that being said, Amsoil is a fine oil. It has its applications, the onus is on the consumer to apply it correctly.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:55 PM

Lots of variables here (Driving conditions, lead foot, A/C, Windows down, Off-road tires, alignment, etc).

But simple math:

5 quarts of AMSOIL @ $11 US = $55 per Year assuming you drive 15k/year

10 quarts of 5W-30 Synth (Say..M1 or Pennzoil) @$20-25/5qts = $40-50/year at 15,000 miles (7500 mile OCI)

In my eyes, its a wash, but at least you get two oil changes, providing a cleaner engine, with the Wal Mart $25 5 QT special...

All in the eyes of the beholder though...I can see how you could argue both sides

Old 01-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Arrow

Nice promotion there of your storefront.

You are also skimming over the fine details.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf
PDF from Amsoil's site laying out intervals. They do recommend 25k for normal service and 15k miles for severe, but only if done within a year. Normal/Severe is defined by them as:

So let's do some math. 365 days in a year...and we have to hit 25k miles before 1 year is up. If you are driving that much let's say 20k miles is for work and 5k miles is for recreation/personal use. If 20k miles of that is commuting, 365-(52*2) is 261 days of commuting per year, assuming no vacation and no sick days. So 20k miles divided by 261 is 76 miles per day of commuting...so let's say 38 miles each way. Sounds a lot like my wife's commute actually. I believe any sane person doing such a commute would be doing so by highway, which is much easier on the engine and therefore the oil. Easier load on engine means relative longer OCIs, which is true for all oils.
For more fun, I now drive the outlander and work is 7 miles away, 100% city. I'll be lucky to turn 4k miles per year for work... I was doing 7.5k mile intervals using mobile1/penz_plat and my UOAs showed that was my sweet spot. With my trips now, I'm going to re-test at 5k. When I drove my Ranger, I tested at 5k miles, and test results stated maybe I could get 6k mile when using full syn oil...I stuck to 5k for a nice round number. Fuel dilution was the issue on that application. If my next change was to be Amsoil ALM, I'd have two strikes against me for severe maintenance: sub-10 mile trips and first time use over 100k miles on engine.

Without knowing driving style and conditions, making a blanket statement of 25k miles is irresponsible. There are members and I'm sure guests that come to these forums and take what is written here as gospel without applying conditions or details. Granted, that's on them, but why tempt them with big numbers without giving all the information so they can apply it to their conditions.

All that being said, Amsoil is a fine oil. It has its applications, the onus is on the consumer to apply it correctly.

Unless you live in extreme cold or heat you can adhere to 25k or one year. I have New York taxis clocking over 30k before changing their oil. If you are off roading or constantly towing that is a whole different game.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cali Duck
Lots of variables here [snip]
But simple math:

5 quarts of AMSOIL @ $11 US = $55 per Year assuming you drive 15k/year

10 quarts of 5W-30 Synth (Say..M1 or Pennzoil) @$20-25/5qts = $40-50/year at 15,000 miles (7500 mile OCI)
AMSOIL just added a 700 hour limit to the oil use intervals for signature series too. Why would AMSOIL do that?
The difference is that AMSOIL stands behind the warranty of their product unlike other oil companies. So they have to be specific on the usage parameters. It is a limited warranty -- you have to prove the oil was defective or failed (oil sample + mechanical inspection) but it's better than nothing in my opinion.

AMSOIL Limited Warranty - Lubricants

Another factor that hasn't be considered here is the environment.
By using oil for as long as safely possible - when in doubt use the severe service rating which is still impressive - your vehicle could remove 5 quarts of used oil and an extra oil filter per year that would otherwise need to be dispose of in the recycle/reuse centres.

Also your time. I'd prefer to not be crawling under the vehicle since I don't have a garage in this -20C weather. I like working on the cars but buy the best quality parts I can instead of replacing brakes every 20k km's. Conventional switches can eliminate 4 of the 5 oil changes per year which saves time and the environment.

Everybody reading this thread is probably using a semi or full synthetic anyway - especially those running 0W-20. Don't use a cheap filter unless you change it at OE intervals (see the paragraph above about time) if you are extending your oil change interval.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:48 PM

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to change the oil on the 2G V6 outlander without jacking up.. is there enough space? I only have mini ramps that raise the vehicle 3". It looks like it might be doable with a 3" raise.

Quick Reply: Oil Changing