Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Default Oil level?

Hey all,
I guess this is a pretty odd question, but how high on the dipstick does 4.3-4.4L of oil read when cold? My old mechanic used to fill it up (~4.4L) so that when the engine was cold (Sitting overnight), it was just a hair below the upper hole on the dipstick. This was in Alberta

However, when my new mechainc in NS added 4.4L, it was exactly half way in between the two holes in the dipstick.

Could it be atmospheric pressure changes? That may sound dumb, but when I checked the oil when the car got to NS (it was shipped), the oil level was at about half way between the holes, yet in ALberta it was right at the top hole...and yes, it was on level ground in both cases.

Am I going crazy?

I guess what is the best level to be at when cold - right in the middle of the holes or at the top hole?

Thanks all....

Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 PM

I've never heard of atmospheric pressure having an effect on how oil reads on the dipstick. The only thing that should matter is if you check it right away after turning off the engine it may read lower because the oil hasn't drained down into the pan.

After an oil change at the dealer mine reads cold just below the top hole.

Last edited by azjake; 03-01-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
I guess what is the best level to be at when cold - right in the middle of the holes or at the top hole?
Sorry, I forgot to reply to this when it first came up.

No one will tell you how much over the high fill hole (top one) is safe. Because then they could be liable if your vehicle has engine issues. Just know there is some room for error and if you are really concerned change the filter out (~300ml) to remove some oil and then top up as needed to the correct level.

My dealer overfilled the oil the last time I had an oil change. It was about a 1/4 inch above the top hole. Consumer engines have some safeties built in for oil level. The theory is that frothing and therefore lubrication starvation should happen at about an inch or so above the top fill hole on the dipstick. I left the overfill in the engine - if it was an inch or more, I would have had them drain and refill but I didn't notice until about a week after the oil change anyway. I can't remember why I pulled the dip stick to check.

When I do an oil change I shoot for between the holes. Don't worry if it is closer to the top hole - which is where I would fill for older vehicles or those that are known to consume oil and require top-ups between oil changes.

Just a wild guess here but could the shipping have shook free the oil that normally clings to the engine parts putting some more oil into the sump or did you start it up before checking the oil?