Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Options for an extra key

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Default Options for an extra key

I'm looking to purchase a third key as a spare, and hoping to save some money and avoid the dealer. There are used ones available on ebay, but what do I need to match as far as compatibility? I assume there are different series that go with different model years - is that correct? The owners manual gives instructions on self programming an extra key, but most of the for sale listings for used ones say it must be programmed by the dealer.

Also, would one of these work? I know I would lose the FAST key functionality, but this key would only be used as an emergency spare.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 PM

How many spares do you need - why 2??

How can you get a "used" key - you can't recut it to fit your locks. Sure, you can reprogram it, but it won't go in the ignition and start the car. I am not familiar with the FAST key system, so I may be wrong on that.

I needed a spare when I bought my used Outlander as it only came with one key. I ended up buying it from a dealer and tried to reprogram it using the instructions in the manual, but that never worked. Eventually I took the car and key back to the dealer for programming and cutting as every other option was just too much hassle.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:13 AM

I only need one extra key. I have one and my wife has one, and we need an extra just in case.

The blade can be purchased separately to be cut and installed in the fast key.

How much did it cost to purchase a key from the dealer and have it cut and programmed? Does your key look like the one in the picture above?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 AM

hi,
my key is exactly like the one on the picture. I don't have the fast key system on my outlander. I seem to to remember the cost was approx $120 for the key and reprogramming the car (I bought the key from the dealer too). I didn't want to pay this much but trying to get it sorted outside of a dealer was proving a nightmare and I had no spare key.
Surely the chances of both you and your wife losing the key simutaneously is fairly unlikely. As long as you have 2 keys, personally I would wait until I lost one before buying another. However, that is just my personal choice.
Cheers
Ben

Old 09-12-2011, 12:30 PM

I have 3rd spare key for my Outlander, and according to me it is must have accessory!
My car is equiped with FAST, one key is used by me and second one most of time is in my wife's bag.
Last year I have situation when I have been on trip around 1.5k kilometers from home and my FAST key stop working (although I have notifications to change baterry, which I normally avoid for week or two). You can imagine my supprise when I understand that since battery in my FAST is empty, I can not start car with supplied emergency key from FAST. Bright side was that I sucseed to find baterry replacement only after half hour, but you can imagine what will happen on open road at night...

After this journey I made 3rd spare key (simmilar like that on picture above) which was programmed (copied code from FAST) by local key dealer. Key and programming cost arrounf 100$. There was no need for any car reprogramming!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM

i have a similar question too. I've seen the thread but it does not show me further back then 6 pages, so this is why i am asking here. Does the 2008 outlander smart key work in 2007 models with the fast key or smart key option.?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 PM

I just got a 2009 Galant one key of course. What would happen if anything if I used just a cut key? Doesn't bother me if I don't have all the remote stuff just want a spare key.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM

How can you tell when the battery is getting low on a smart key?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by jcacton
How can you tell when the battery is getting low on a smart key?
its happened to me, the car tells you.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 AM

I have a 2007 Outlander (Australian Version) and have the FAST key as well. I've attached a picture for your reference. The car lets you know the battery is for replacement and if in case you're battery is totally flat you can STILL actually drive the car using the attach spare key. It's a safety feature of the car and I've actually tried driving it using the attached spare key. You just have to do it the old fashion way of inserting it in the key barrel (removing first the black **** for turning it while using FAST key).

Attached Thumbnails Options for an extra key-05042012139.jpg  

Quick Reply: Options for an extra key