Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Options for an extra key

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 PM

Removing a black what??
I've been told damage could accrue if you use just a standard key.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by jcacton
Removing a black what??
I've been told damage could accrue if you use just a standard key.

The **** that you actually turn to start the car if you are using the FAST key. It can be removed and you can insert the spare key. I think Mitsubishi wouldn't provide a spare key it you cannot actually use it and can cause damage to your car. As I've said I was actually able to drive the car using the spare metal key.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Thanks I got it now.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM

FYI
Just bought a "used" key on e-bay for $90. Took it to the dealer to program and they couldn't do it. Computer said "wrong key type" error.
Basically once a FAST key has been registered to a VIN it can't be changed to another vehicle...
If someone knows another way to program it I would appreciate.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:16 AM

That's not true at all. Plenty of people have successfully purchased used keys and reprogrammed them. It sounds like your key might just be for a different model or year, and not compatible with your vehicle.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
That's not true at all. Plenty of people have successfully purchased used keys and reprogrammed them. It sounds like your key might just be for a different model or year, and not compatible with your vehicle.
I triple checked the part numbers on the keys and they were identical.
The dealer message was "wrong key type". I took it to a locksmith and his message was "invalid PIN code".
I ordered a "brand new" one. Will wait and see if it works.
I've read in a few places since then that once a key has been programmed to a VIN it cannot be re-programmed to another. Maybe it's somethig new or unique to Canadian Mitsu's?

Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Default Missing key fob

Hi There, I VERY unfortunately lost my only key fob for my 08 Outlander. I have the spare or valet key. I'm not sure if the vehicle will operate with just that key and without the fob. Can anyone help me with this info?

Last edited by McHaggis; 07-12-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by McHaggis
Hi There, I VERY unfortunately lost my only key fob for my 08 Outlander. I have the spare or valet key. I'm not sure if the vehicle will operate with just that key and without the fob. Can anyone help me with this info?
As said, if the fob is missing, as long as you have the cut key, you can remove the black cover on the steering column that you normall turn to the start the car. Insert your key and use it like the good old days before fobs were invented.

As for me, i just bought a fast key fob on ebay, with matching part numbers and more critically a matching FCC numbers. I'll see if the dealer lets me program it.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:07 AM

You can't just use a regular cut key to start it.. There is a factory immobilizer that kills the starter when you turn it to start...

If you have a non fast system there should be a passive chip inside the key (factory/OEM) one that will allow it to start.

- If you have the fast system you can remove the cap on the ignition switch by squeezing the tabs and pulling it off.

- Remove the key from the fob by pressing the release latch at the top and pulling the keychain end away from the fob.

- Insert the cut key end into the ignition key hole (like a normal car)

- Remove the key ring and put the end where the key ring was INSIDE the hole in the fob where the key came out of and push (it's going in backwards to the way it came out - Square end IN)

- Push the fob into the key so it's making good contact and use the fob to turn the key to start. This will allow the key to transmit the passive code to the immobilizer so the car will start.

This procedure is in the manual. I tried to start mine when I got it with the key just to make sure it worked and couldn't and ended up having to look this process up it's not intuitive at all and is awkward but it does work if you do it right.

If you don't have a fob that means you don't have a device to override the immobilizer so you will need to buy a new one from the stealership and have them program it with their MUT tool.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Default don't pay hundreds

just an FYI maybe option for you and I also hoped to pass this info on so others may see it. I checked and it was 290 for the key and then probably 1/2 hour labor! I was ready to give the "Stealer" a hundred plus, but over 3 is pretty ridiculous! I found a key blank on e bay. from China, but got it in about 10 days. Although it has NO guts in it, after I went to three places and got someone to cut it for me, from my spare, I tried it and it worked! (4.95 plus the key cut at hardware store). Heres the deal: I HAVE an aftermarket remote starter (zeibart) I STARTED the car and unlocked it that way. I put the key in a turned it as you would with any remote starter. it kept it running. I then shut it off and tried to START it with my new key.. started, but shut down after a sec. did again, same... so I went back to starting with my remote,inserting new key.... drove it home 10 min... then while in the drive I tried again, and now it even starts with this blank key! So.. this is now my spare. But, I think it was cheaper to get the whole remote starter and you get a lot more for your money than giving the stealer 3+ hundred!

Quick Reply: Options for an extra key