Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 07 All-Wheel Control with Advanced 4-Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Default RE: Outlander 07 All-Wheel Control with Advanced 4-Wheel Drive

ORIGINAL: MadisonMini

My question is: why would you ever want to drive in 4WD Auto vs. 4WD lock? (except for possible better gas mileage) Seems like 4WD lock is better.
I never drove 4WD Lock on dry paved roads, even on snow/ice covered roads in our area. As I understand it, a certain portion of the torque (is it really 60%?) that the engine produce is sent to the rear wheels. I don't know how that will help in a dry paved road where I get maximal grip from my tires, especially when they sufficiently warmed up. I think 4WD LOck will even cause premature tire wear over prolonged use in dry paved roads.

I would, however, use the 4WD Lock mode if I would be in an off-road condition, where I need more torque in the rear to propel the front wheel. Like crossing a shallow creek, rutted forest roads, sandy and gravel roads. But summer isn't even here yet, so that part has to wait.

When conditions are slippery, like just now, then I drive in 4WD Auto mode, and let the vehicles electronics determine torque distribution for me. As I understand it, when you get maximal grip on all tires under 4WD Auto mode, then power would be more or less equally distributed to the front and rear wheels.

And I've been doing some experimenting and I see that 2WD mode in a 4WD Outlander doesn't really produce appreciable MPG advantage over 4WD Auto in the short city trips I am taking everyday.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 PM

Lock sould not be on their, it's misleading. The lock mode works just like the auto mode but it letts more tq go to the rear wheels if the computer thinks it needs it.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:59 AM

The lock mode works just like the auto mode but it letts more tq go to the rear wheels if the computer thinks it needs it.
As I understand it, 4WD Lock gives a fixed % of the torque to the rear, irregardless whether there is a need for it or not, hence the name "Lock", not like 4WD Auto in which there is computer control over torque distribution. Although "4WD Lock" might mean a different thing in older generation 4WDs, the Outlander's 4WD Lock option is clearly described in the manual. But the thing is, when owners don't read the manual, they may think it's the older "Lock" mechanism, and then they get confused. But if owners read the manual, there no reason to be confused because the options for 4WD are described in plain English.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:57 AM

dr_max_facts -

I'm not sure where you got the info you posted, but I'd like to thank you for posting it. Is it a copy and paste from the owner's manual? Can you provide a link?

Assuming I read dr_max_facts' original post correctly, one could put their Outlander in "4WD Lock" while driving on dry pavement. That is a feature that has tremendous appeal to me. I'm a skier and my worst case driving situation is I'm driving in the mountains and the section of road I'm on is dry pavement, having been exposed to the sun. However, I drive around the corner to a shaded portion of the road and it is covered with ice. I don't want to have to switch between "4WD Auto" and "4WD Lock" as the road surface changes; I want to be able to leave the vehicle in "4WD Lock" as it travels from dry pavement to ice and back to dry pavement.

Question: can a driver switch between "4WD Lock" and "4WD Auto" on dry pavement at freeway speeds?

I'd like to thank everyone for their participation on this forum and on this thread. Thanks.

FYI - I'm researching new cars and the 4WD/AWD system that a car has is very important to me.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Question: can a driver switch between "4WD Lock" and "4WD Auto" on dry pavement at freeway speeds?
The 4WD system is electronic so I presume you can, although I haven't done it yet. There is nothing in the manual that says you can't do it that way, so I presume you can. But if I were to do it, maybe I'll try at lower speeds. I'll been toggling between 4wd Auto and 2WD mode when I drive through mixed dry and slushy roads, so far no problem.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:58 AM
Default This is extremely comprehensive and technical... love it!

Here are my 2 cents.

First of all, let's see what the manual says about some of the issues presented here (my manual is here, I will cite page numbers to help you verify the info):

Page 3-92: 2WD is for primarily freeways and dry conditions. 4WD Auto is the "default mode" (again, it doesn't specifically says you SHOULD leave this on on dry pavements (remember: just because you can doesn't mean you should). 4WD Lock says it's strictly for snowy and sandy areas.

Page 3-93: You CAN operate the drive mode-selector while moving or stopped. Again, because you can does NOT mean you should!!! The manual is silent about how fast you can go and whether or not you can go from 2WD to 4WD Lock while driving. That is when you become Mitsubishi's "guinea pig" and help them find out if it would mess up the system. This page also says that 4WD Lock increases tire wear, produce noise, and increases fuel consumption. The increased fuel consumption sounds like BS to me... it's almost like Mitsu wants people to keep the 4WD Lock off if not absolutely necessary.

Page 3-94 and 3-95: I think this answer people's questions about "why have a silly 2WD mode". Well, in case the 4WD system overheats or has a probalem, so it seems.

Page 3-96: It tells you the car is primarily designed for pavement (which sucks, they should have made it more rugged like the X-Terra with a low gear 4WD). It points out 4WD reduces power on climbing ability and lowers downhill engine stopping power. Scary!! Does this make any sense??? It seems weird to me...

Page 3-97: Sharp cornering with 4WD Lock, steering feel stiff, as if you were braking. This shows you, the 4WD Lock actually pushes more power to the rear.

Page 3-98: Disturbing that Mitsu says it's ok to do the "rocking trick" (rock the car while stopped)to get the car un-stuck. I have always thought that messed up the auto transmission due to moving the ATF away from the components.... ???

This sums it up for my mini-guide to the 4WD mode. For such a complex system that allows drives to "really get control of the car", the manual does an EXTREMELY poor job of explaining what each mode does and how to maintain it and where to drive it. I am quite disapointed at how overly simplistic the language is about the 4WD selector is.

Hope this helps those who dodged reading the manual (which is silly). This little summary should help the lazy ones a bit.

Chris

Old 03-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Default Ps.

I have to add this to it as well:

This is my first 4WD/AWD vehicle. I have only had rear-wheel drive cars a sthey are more agile and more fun to drive than front-wheel drive cars.

I also want to ad dthat the local Mitsu dealer personell might NOT be the best people to ask questions about the 4WD system. I suggest people WRITE Mitsu letters and ask questions directly, so they can send you a response in writting as to your questions, when the manual is silent (which to me, the manual is highly incomplete in regards to the 4WD system).

Good luck. I will keep posting when I get a response to my certified letter to Mitsu.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Default RE: This is extremely comprehensive and technical... love it!

ORIGINAL: Christian1

Here are my 2 cents.

First of all, let's see what the manual says about some of the issues presented here (my manual is here, I will cite page numbers to help you verify the info):

Page 3-92: 2WD is for primarily freeways and dry conditions. 4WD Auto is the "default mode" (again, it doesn't specifically says you SHOULD leave this on on dry pavements (remember: just because you can doesn't mean you should). 4WD Lock says it's strictly for snowy and sandy areas.

Page 3-93: You CAN operate the drive mode-selector while moving or stopped. Again, because you can does NOT mean you should!!! The manual is silent about how fast you can go and whether or not you can go from 2WD to 4WD Lock while driving. That is when you become Mitsubishi's "guinea pig" and help them find out if it would mess up the system. This page also says that 4WD Lock increases tire wear, produce noise, and increases fuel consumption. The increased fuel consumption sounds like BS to me... it's almost like Mitsu wants people to keep the 4WD Lock off if not absolutely necessary.

Page 3-94 and 3-95: I think this answer people's questions about "why have a silly 2WD mode". Well, in case the 4WD system overheats or has a probalem, so it seems.

Page 3-96: It tells you the car is primarily designed for pavement (which sucks, they should have made it more rugged like the X-Terra with a low gear 4WD). It points out 4WD reduces power on climbing ability and lowers downhill engine stopping power. Scary!! Does this make any sense??? It seems weird to me...

Page 3-97: Sharp cornering with 4WD Lock, steering feel stiff, as if you were braking. This shows you, the 4WD Lock actually pushes more power to the rear.

Page 3-98: Disturbing that Mitsu says it's ok to do the "rocking trick" (rock the car while stopped)to get the car un-stuck. I have always thought that messed up the auto transmission due to moving the ATF away from the components.... ???

This sums it up for my mini-guide to the 4WD mode. For such a complex system that allows drives to "really get control of the car", the manual does an EXTREMELY poor job of explaining what each mode does and how to maintain it and where to drive it. I am quite disapointed at how overly simplistic the language is about the 4WD selector is.

Hope this helps those who dodged reading the manual (which is silly). This little summary should help the lazy ones a bit.

Chris
im afraid you're incorrect about many things here. there is absolutly no true mechanical link in this 4WD system. It is mearly a clutch pack. It can be engaged/disengaged at any time, any place, whenever you want. Its an electromagnet, and all it does is clamp on a fully bathed wet clutch.
pretty much every manufacturer has done this on their AWD systems based on front drive systems.
ALL the componants are ALWAYS spinning. the only thing you do by placing the system in 2WD is disengage the clutch. The driveshaft, axles, differential, etc. are all still spinning.. the driveshaft by the transmission, and the axle/differential by the tires.
the **** is nothing more than a "request" for how much slippage the system will allow. in 2WD, there is no torque transfer (this is the silly setting, as everything is already spinning and you save NO milage in 2WD vs. 4WD). in 4WD "auto", it applies a small current to "drag" the clutch until wheel slip is detected, at which time it increases the current, eliminating most slippage.
In 4WD full, it applies full current to the electromagnet. Thats it.

the system is NOT "high tech" in the least, but for the software. Nearly every manufacturer on the planet is using something exactly like it.
the ONLY reason the "2WD" option is there is because many consumers actually request it for some reason.
people should honestly leave it in 4WD "auto" all the time unless in a very slippery situation.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

Here are my 2 cents.

Chris
im afraid you're incorrect about many things here. there is absolutly no true mechanical link in this 4WD system. It is mearly a clutch pack. It can be engaged/disengaged at any time, any place, whenever you want. Its an electromagnet, and all it does is clamp on a fully bathed wet clutch.
pretty much every manufacturer has done this on their AWD systems based on front drive systems.
ALL the componants are ALWAYS spinning. the only thing you do by placing the system in 2WD is disengage the clutch. The driveshaft, axles, differential, etc. are all still spinning.. the driveshaft by the transmission, and the axle/differential by the tires.
the **** is nothing more than a "request" for how much slippage the system will allow. in 2WD, there is no torque transfer (this is the silly setting, as everything is already spinning and you save NO milage in 2WD vs. 4WD). in 4WD "auto", it applies a small current to "drag" the clutch until wheel slip is detected, at which time it increases the current, eliminating most slippage.
In 4WD full, it applies full current to the electromagnet. Thats it.

the system is NOT "high tech" in the least, but for the software. Nearly every manufacturer on the planet is using something exactly like it.
the ONLY reason the "2WD" option is there is because many consumers actually request it for some reason.
people should honestly leave it in 4WD "auto" all the time unless in a very slippery situation.
ManyBrews: Maybe I am incorrect in my assertion of the 4WD system in this vehicle, but given the crappy and incomplete information from the car owner's manual, I have to assume you shouldn't be taking any chances with the 4WD system. I guess I rather be safe than sorry.[X(] I have sent a Certified letter with return receipt to Mitsu (aka. the only way to get a written response from large corporations who fear lawsuits) and hopefully I will have a response soon and will scan it (blotting out my name/address, of course) and you will get the whole facts from the manufacturer. The info I stated above was straight from the vehicle's office manual. I listed page #s so you can go and check it out. As you will find, the 4WD system is VERY poorly described and incomplete as to the info most car enthusiasts would want. I guess Mitsu's legal dept is hard at work.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:49 AM

Chris -

Thanks for taking time to quote the manual. From what you posted, I agree that it appears in some casesMitsubishi isbeing a bit vague. And it's quite possible theywere very deliberatewith the language they used in the manual. I will be looking forward to seeing Mitsubishi's reply to your letter.

Dave

Thanks also to rcpax and Manybrews for adding to the discussion. If I bought an Outlander (which seems like a great choice), than I would drive it in "4WD-auto" mode most of time, except when I'm driving up in the mountains. Then I'd like to put it in "4WD-lock", regardless of the road conditions. So that my language isn't vague, by "regardless of the road conditions" I meana mixture of dry, wet, snow, slush,and ice.

Quick Reply: Outlander 07 All-Wheel Control with Advanced 4-Wheel Drive