Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 07 All-Wheel Control with Advanced 4-Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Default RE: Outlander 07 All-Wheel Control with Advanced 4-Wheel Drive

Just to clarify things: the review was about CANADIAN 2007MITSUBISHIOUTLANDER.
There is noCVT available for this vehicle whatsoever.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Hi,

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but there is something that's still not clear to me...

What if, say, both right wheels were off the road, or on slippery surface? Would they then both be spinning, i.e. leaving the car immobile (assume open diffs at both front & rear).
Or, would this little bit of info make any difference, allowing the car to move forward:

"The traction control portion of ASTC provides a "virtual" limited-slip differential effect by helping to prevent wheel spin during start up and acceleration in slippery conditions. Even if the driver has not selected 4WD Auto or 4WD Lock modes on a 4WD Outlander model, front wheel spin can be controlled under a variety of conditions. Since a mechanical limited-slip differential is not required, weight is reduced."

Got this from Mitsubishi Media Newsroom

Very curious about this, as I'm about to purchase an outie...european diesel, if it makes any difference :-)

Cheers,

-Morten

Old 03-27-2007, 07:20 PM

Where abouts in Europe are you? I'll be ordering mine soon too, could do with some feedback on that diesel engine!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: zontarh

Where abouts in Europe are you? I'll be ordering mine soon too, could do with some feedback on that diesel engine!

This would be Oslo, Norway. I originally thought that there'd be a 2.2 ltr diesel with automatic, but later found out the automatic will only be available on a 2.4 ltr petrol :-(
With Norwegian taxes, I'll stick with the VAG 2.0 ltr manual shift. Which I hear performs just fine :-)

Cheers,

-Morten

Old 03-27-2007, 07:42 PM

I've had a test drive in it and it drives real smooth and torquey although a little noisy, but what I want is the true MPG, official figures in comparison to the competition are excellent.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: morten

Hi,

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but there is something that's still not clear to me...

What if, say, both right wheels were off the road, or on slippery surface? Would they then both be spinning, i.e. leaving the car immobile (assume open diffs at both front & rear).
Or, would this little bit of info make any difference, allowing the car to move forward:

"The traction control portion of ASTC provides a "virtual" limited-slip differential effect by helping to prevent wheel spin during start up and acceleration in slippery conditions. Even if the driver has not selected 4WD Auto or 4WD Lock modes on a 4WD Outlander model, front wheel spin can be controlled under a variety of conditions. Since a mechanical limited-slip differential is not required, weight is reduced."

Very curious about this, as I'm about to purchase an outie...european diesel, if it makes any difference :-)

Cheers,

-Morten
the traction control will endeed engage the brakes on the spinning wheels, forcing the driving power to the other wheels.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

ORIGINAL: morten

Hi,

Cheers,

-Morten
the traction control will endeed engage the brakes on the spinning wheels, forcing the driving power to the other wheels.
Thanks! Just the piece of information I was looking for!

I've had a test-spin, and apart from some engine noise, cheesy door-plastic on the inside and rather awkward-looking instrumentation, this is a solid piece of car! And, it'll get us to our chalet even on tough, icy mountain roads!

Again, thank you!

Cheers,

-Morten

Old 03-27-2007, 11:43 PM

no, only the front wheel that is on the icy surface will spin, there is no limited slip for the front. The rear is its own transfercase, and limited slip combined... so, you would still have rear traction, on both wheels...
iF that helps

Old 03-28-2007, 01:30 AM

ORIGINAL: soundcolor

no, only the front wheel that is on the icy surface will spin, there is no limited slip for the front. The rear is its own transfercase, and limited slip combined... so, you would still have rear traction, on both wheels...
iF that helps
theres no limited slip for either... as I said, you have traction control. The traction control acts as a limited slip, engaging the brakes on the slipping tires, thereby transferring power to the non-slipping tires.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 AM

Yeah, thats basically what I was trying to say without saying just that. It hard for alot of people to understand there is no limited slip, but you get a limited slip effect... Oh well.

Quick Reply: Outlander 07 All-Wheel Control with Advanced 4-Wheel Drive