Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2008 4WD lock Stock in snow ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 PM

I was curious about the effectiveness of the current Outlander's AWD system and came across this vid. It's in another language but the action of the AWD is apparent.

Fast forward to the 1:22 mark and notice how the driver switches the drive mode from 2WD to 4WD auto (not 4WD lock). He approaches a ditch at an angle and has 2 wheels in the air (right front and left rear). This is always a great test. As he steps on the throttle, pay close attention to the left rear wheel as it is braked slightly (not by the driver of course) and the vehicle proceeds forward. It's similar to the current Subaru Forester as you'll see in video #2 below (the Subie seems less dramatic at it though). The key is to stay on the throttle....

#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyrH...eature=related

#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZwfR...eature=related

Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM

If your rear tires are starting to spin, as you're apllying the throttle, gently (dont just yank on it) pull up the handbrake. This will slow the speed of the spinning tire, and can help engage the other side.

I'll be honest that I havent tried this my Outlander (yet....i'm still waiting for it's first winter), but it worked in my jeep lots of times.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by outpack
If your rear tires are starting to spin, as you're apllying the throttle, gently (dont just yank on it) pull up the handbrake. This will slow the speed of the spinning tire, and can help engage the other side.

I'll be honest that I havent tried this my Outlander (yet....i'm still waiting for it's first winter), but it worked in my jeep lots of times.
That is a good trick but with the currrent technology of the stability control working in conjunction with the traction control, the electronics takes over. Subie calls it their VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control). It seems that the system needs to see that a tire is slipping and starts to brake it slightly so as to transfer the torque to the other wheel (on the same axle).

I came across this other thread regarding the Outlander's AWD system:

Originally Posted by chenarm
This is taken out of the Outlander service manual

"As the vehicle is intended for on-road use, long-time driving on a sandy or slushy road must be avoided. When the vehicle is driven on a sandy or slushy road for a long time, the fail-safe function of the electronic control 4WD system tends to enter the protective control mode which switches the control from 4WD to 2WD gradually in order to protect the drive system, and the indicators ("4WD" and "LOCK") tends to illuminate"

If you are looking for an offroad vehicle you might be better served by something else.
My concern is what time frame is meant by a long-time? I live in the northeast and sometimes driving to the ski resort from the city can take up to 3 hrs in a snowstorm. Will this system hold up well? (of course keeping in mind one will have dedicated snow tires)

Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by armymen
Hi,
yesturday i was like stock in the snow, i was in 4WD lock.
the problem, only my Front left side and my back Right side where spinning.
are my system is defect ???
The Outlander is currently on my short list for a new small suv but I have some concerns about the awd system.

I took this from another thread:

[quote=chenarm;234450]This is taken out of the Outlander service manual

"As the vehicle is intended for on-road use, long-time driving on a sandy or slushy road must be avoided. When the vehicle is driven on a sandy or slushy road for a long time, the fail-safe function of the electronic control 4WD system tends to enter the protective control mode which switches the control from 4WD to 2WD gradually in order to protect the drive system, and the indicators ("4WD" and "LOCK") tends to illuminate"

So what time frame is meant by long-time? I live in the northeast and sometimes driving to the ski resort from the city can take up to 3 hrs in a snowstorm. Will this system hold up well? (of course keeping in mind one will have dedicated snow tires).

Armymen, how long were you driving around and what drive mode were you in when you got stuck in that storm?

I contacted Mitsu Canada about this who in turn told me to call my local dealer. The service manager there said that he has not heard of this problem coming in.

I want to get a good all around small suv, and the current outie fits the bill, but if the awd system goes against it's intented purpose than that's a big problem.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 AM

"Long time" means long enough to overheat the transmission. This will depend on the current traction between the tires and the road. When it's slushy, don't pedal down on the gas and make the wheels spin because that will overheat the 4WD system. Instead, with your fitted winter tires, drive sensibly and slowly. That will not only protect the 4WD from overheating, but save your life as well. I have safely driven on slushy roads for longer than 3 hrs with OEM tires, I have not seen this protective mechanism activate. So with winter tires this shouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM

meah, wouldn't worry about it. I don't drive sensibly (meaning I don't baby it) and never had any problems with overheating or whatever.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:18 AM

I drove in heavy rain from the airport for 2 hours with 4WD Lock and had no issues.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:09 AM

The problem of overheading is when the car ****** through sand, deep snow or mud in low speeds.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:09 PM

The traction control and 4WD is not working as well in Outlander, because Mitsubishi wanted those people who are looking for a real offroader to buy a Pajero.

In Pajero the traction control works very well, and there is manually lockable 100% diffs at center and rear. Here is a few examples of Pajero's 4wd system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFr66TqNCUQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF3xdLzuZeg

But, luckily they are now fixing this, and improving also the 4wd system of the outlander. They have released the Outlander GT, which uses active differentials from Evo. Those are very good differentials, and basically as good as real 100% locking diff. The Outlander GT has Active diffs at front and Center, so only the rear axle is left for traction control now.

Here is a few demonstrations of the new GT's 4wd system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmpT9q8puyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b203wKwGrYA

Old 11-28-2009, 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=Noey;248538]The Outlander is currently on my short list for a new small suv but I have some concerns about the awd system.

I took this from another thread:

Originally Posted by chenarm
This is taken out of the Outlander service manual

So what time frame is meant by long-time? I live in the northeast and sometimes driving to the ski resort from the city can take up to 3 hrs in a snowstorm. Will this system hold up well? (of course keeping in mind one will have dedicated snow tires).

Armymen, how long were you driving around and what drive mode were you in when you got stuck in that storm?

I contacted Mitsu Canada about this who in turn told me to call my local dealer. The service manager there said that he has not heard of this problem coming in.

I want to get a good all around small suv, and the current outie fits the bill, but if the awd system goes against it's intented purpose than that's a big problem.

I was in 4WD LOCK, ASC one, but probably should had bein at off, because its slow me down to a stop in like 2 foot and a half drif.
When i need traction the ASC slow me righ off, but i need speed to pass true the optical :P
wish it have DIFF lock to pass true that kind of snow

Quick Reply: Outlander 2008 4WD lock Stock in snow ???