Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2008 4WD lock Stock in snow ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Default RE: Outlander 2008 4WD lock Stock in snow ???

I'm so sorry for bad link. I didn't know that attachements are unreachable for unregistered users.

This "diagonal suspension" (is thiscorrect?) I made few days ago.
Rearright wheel is in air.
Front left wheel is on the ground but unloaded and spinned like rear right.

30 to 40 % ?
you mean like 30 to 40 km / h ?
No. Car are stopped, two wheels spinned, two other - stopped.
I mean 30-60 % of full throttle. If less, ASC don't work and won't help.

This"toy barrier" (about 40cm height) I could get over only in these conditions:
1) 4WD- LOCK
2) ASC - ON
3) Accelerate - 30...60 percent of full throttle.
---
In all other modes - unsuccessfull.

So when ASC is on the system work like if i got like a jeep 4x4 in LOW mod ?
No of course.
LOW mode in cars like jeep assume possibility to lock of differentials: center, rear, front.
ASC system on Outlander'07 simply will help to pull out from mud, snow, sand. It designed for good roads, not for extreme off-road driving. This think agreeing overheat that may cause on difficult situations. "Slow down" willappear on central display and 4WD willflash. Car may be stay in 2WD mode about 20-30 minutes while temperature in rear coupling will be down.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:16 PM

I think this is the only time I regret getting Outlander and not RAV4 that has a button where you can lock differentials up to 25 mph

Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 AM

I think this is the only time I regret getting Outlander and not RAV4 that has a button where you can lock differentials up to 25 mph
I think RAV4 has possibility to lock only center differential but not front and rear - like real jeep. In this case(diagonal suspension) this lockingis helpless.It may bedangerous on icy road when your speed will raise up 25mph then down and differential will lock again.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:03 AM

Listen to me, my previous car was a Rav4 2007, and in twist condition (that you call "diagonal suspension") has same problem of our Outie and traction control was trimmed to work from 15 mph!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 AM

I assume that traction control (eq ASC in Outie) will help but not central differential locking.
Thank you - now I know "twist condition" is right phrase.
--
Why you sold Rav4 2007 ?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:15 AM

Driving an AWD is not so complicated at all. you just push the button and you are all set. But the old AWD Drive with Manual tranny you have to stop the car and put the gear on 4 wheel drive then you can use them.

try experimenting with stopping the car first and then push the button to AWD. Then it might work and wont get stuck. But don't put your AWD drive while doing 65 mph or 35 mphyou will break something.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:31 AM

By the Misconception of driving an AWD is that "I Won't get stuckon the snow or mud"

If Abraham M1 tank can get stuckon the mad or snow do you think a Outlander won't get stuck too?

Just like in New England some Moron with Ford trucks or GMC trucks think they are invincible that doing 65 mph on ice and heavy snow will not make their Truck spin.
But course whatever truck you drive you will spin or get stuck on the snow Because Mother Nature is the big boss. I have seen BMW and Audi got stuck on 95 from that last Northestern. But mine Lancer 2008 was fine. I was tailgating a Evo 9 WHILE HE was clearing the snow in front of us.

You should waited to buy the Evo X. You won't get disappointed with Yaw control and AWD system

Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 AM

if you push the AWD doing 25 to 65 mph your system might be mess up.

driving AWD is driving slow like 15 mph not 25 to 65 mph because the purpose of the AWD is to get you out of being stuck not Rally Type driving.

it wasd design for a daily driver not Paris to Dakar Rally event. Because those outlander have special tranny than tolerate high temp or rough terrian.

I bet your car is broken.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
tcp

See, now that makes more sense. If the ASC system applies brakes to both wheels in the air(left front and right rear) the torque MUST be transfered across to the other two wheels, regardless, as they are mechanically linked(4wd auto or 4wd lock). There is no need to be going 5mph as a minimum, tach showing zero, etc. If the engine is turning and wheels are turning, the computer knows what is happening and can use the brakes to send torque wherever it's needed. The two wheel in the air/tach at 0 scenario would make sense on an older non-brake controlled system, but not with ASC and computer controls.
ORIGINAL: Sergy

I'm so sorry for bad link. I didn't know that attachements are unreachable for unregistered users.

This "diagonal suspension" (is thiscorrect?) I made few days ago.
Rearright wheel is in air.
Front left wheel is on the ground but unloaded and spinned like rear right.

30 to 40 % ?
you mean like 30 to 40 km / h ?
No. Car are stopped, two wheels spinned, two other - stopped.
I mean 30-60 % of full throttle. If less, ASC don't work and won't help.

This"toy barrier" (about 40cm height) I could get over only in these conditions:
1) 4WD- LOCK
2) ASC - ON
3) Accelerate - 30...60 percent of full throttle.
---
In all other modes - unsuccessfull.

So when ASC is on the system work like if i got like a jeep 4x4 in LOW mod ?
No of course.
LOW mode in cars like jeep assume possibility to lock of differentials: center, rear, front.
ASC system on Outlander'07 simply will help to pull out from mud, snow, sand. It designed for good roads, not for extreme off-road driving. This think agreeing overheat that may cause on difficult situations. "Slow down" willappear on central display and 4WD willflash. Car may be stay in 2WD mode about 20-30 minutes while temperature in rear coupling will be down.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 PM

well this was a foot of snow and outie seemed to handle it just fine...

http://autoweek.ru/gallery/video/test-drives/19586/

Quick Reply: Outlander 2008 4WD lock Stock in snow ???