Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2009 check engine lights and limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Default Outlander 2009 check engine lights and limp mode

I've got a 2009 outlander 2.4L XLX .
The vehicle started going into limp mode with the check engine lights, got the DTC's erased but it kept coming back over and over again, had it check out from the company workshop and got a error code P1241 torque control monitor! workshop guys cant seem to figure it out, they did an engine tune up and cleaned the throttle body but it didnt work. the engine has slight RMP fluctuations at idle and slight hesitation when you decompress the gas pedal!

Is this a bad MAF sensor or something about torque values exceeding?? please help!!!!:c onfused:

Last edited by Punsisi Jayawardana; 01-07-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 AM

I think you need to give some more information. Where are you located? In the US, the 2009 XLS came with the 3.0L and there was no XLX trim. If you are outside the US, can you give some more info on the engine?

Reading the code on an Lancer/Evo forums, they were discussing turbos and tunes. Have you done any mods?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 AM

Most likely a faulty MAF sensor.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM

im way outside US , im from sri lanka! and yeah i may have gotten the trim wrong. it is XLS 2.4L MiVEC 4B12 engine with a CVT transmission system. im sorry for the lack of technical info. so if it is a faulty MAF sensor, does it need replacing or can it be repaired? and im getting two error codes, is it possible that one error comes up due to the other?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM

Is this problem at all related to bad transmission fluid? would a transmission fluid change fix this?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:25 AM

Im a Mitsubishi mechanic and we are having the same problems with a 2012 RVR and a 2011 Lancer with it constantly going into limp mode. The people through techline are telling us that you need to take off your throttle body and clean it very well, that should fix your problem. But if it doesn't it may be your computer. Try taking off your throttle body, after that you may be replacing your computer. They are linking this problem to bad wind velocity going through the air box which is causing the MAF sensor to malfunction. But as of right now Mitsubishi Techline does not have a permanent fix for this problem. (P1241 torque control monitor). I will keep updating when I find the answer.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Default Problem solved?

After doing more tests we found out that after taking off, and cleaning the throttle body and putting it back together threw more codes which caused the computer to malfunction. So to our conclusion and to stop the problem, after taking off the throttle body to clean it, you must take the battery cable off so it doesn't throw any more "new" codes to the computer. After putting it back together and it still going into limp mode you must disconnect the battery again, and replaced the throttle body. Once this is done you put the battery cable back on and this should solve your problem. If this doesn't work then get back to me, thanks.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by mits_mechanic_matt
After doing more tests we found out that after taking off, and cleaning the throttle body and putting it back together threw more codes which caused the computer to malfunction. So to our conclusion and to stop the problem, after taking off the throttle body to clean it, you must take the battery cable off so it doesn't throw any more "new" codes to the computer. After putting it back together and it still going into limp mode you must disconnect the battery again, and replaced the throttle body. Once this is done you put the battery cable back on and this should solve your problem. If this doesn't work then get back to me, thanks.
just to make sure, when the throttle body was clean, I'm guessing it was cleaned with carb/brake cleaner? was the throttle body blown dry w/ compressed air and let sit for a while? the reason I ask, I cleaned out the IAC on a Grand Am years ago, didn't let the fluid evaporate off, slapped it back on and started the engine. it didn't like that and more codes popped off. I cleared them with a scanner and let the engine run for a bit, all was fine. I'm guessing the remaining fluid/fumes threw off the computer just enough.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:48 AM

Tried cleaning the throttle body and it worked for smetime but got the same error code and limp mode again but it only goes into limp mode if travel below the 2000rpm range, if i keep it over 2000rpm it seems normal and rides smooth!!! ?? :S

Old 03-04-2023, 04:46 PM
Default The vehicle is stuck in limp mode.

Right now the vehicle is stuck in limp mode. If the computer encounters a critical error that would be catastrophic to the motor it will put itself is limp mode. Or what some people call "get home safe mode" it will not let the vehicle rev over 3000rpm. The idle will fluctuate and it will have minimal acceleration. Mist likely a bad computer module.

QUOTE=Punsisi Jayawardana;289509]I've got a 2009 outlander 2.4L XLX .
The vehicle started going into limp mode with the check engine lights, got the DTC's erased but it kept coming back over and over again, had it check out from the company workshop and got a error code P1241 torque control monitor! workshop guys cant seem to figure it out, they did an engine tune up and cleaned the throttle body but it didnt work. the engine has slight RMP fluctuations at idle and slight hesitation when you decompress the gas pedal!

Is this a bad MAF sensor or something about torque values exceeding?? please help!!!!:c onfused:[/QUOTE]