Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2012 keyfob missing how do I get a new one

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 AM
Default Outlander 2012 keyfob missing how do I get a new one

Bought Outlander SE through auction and got a physical key but no keyless entry. It does not have a keyless start option.

Dealer wants $315 and local locksmiths about the same. What are my options?

Going broke in Orlando.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:53 AM

Bend over and take it. Obviously this car was a repossession, so no key fobs. You need the fob to authorize the ECU to turn over the engine, key alone won't do it.

You can buy a used fob on ebay, but without knowing the FCC ID and Part number, it's impossible to guess and get the right one. Even if you get the right one, alot of times they won't program into your cars computer for some reason.

Dealer is your best bet. Sorry man, these are the issues that come up with auction vehicles.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
Bend over and take it. Obviously this car was a repossession, so no key fobs. You need the fob to authorize the ECU to turn over the engine, key alone won't do it.

You can buy a used fob on ebay, but without knowing the FCC ID and Part number, it's impossible to guess and get the right one. Even if you get the right one, alot of times they won't program into your cars computer for some reason.

Dealer is your best bet. Sorry man, these are the issues that come up with auction vehicles.
Thanks that was what I was thinking. You could be right it could be a repo thus no keys.

I figured buy one then if second one needed use that one as a base to buy another.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:39 AM

If it doesn't have keyless start shouldn't there be a chip in the key to start it or did they just give you a bare metal key?

Old 07-14-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
If it doesn't have keyless start shouldn't there be a chip in the key to start it or did they just give you a bare metal key?
it is a key that has a plastic top, so there could be a chip in there can't tell and I don't know enough to say.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:50 AM

Does the car actually start with the key and you just need a keyless entry remote where you press the unlock button on the remote to open the car?

Old 07-14-2015, 10:53 AM

Does the car actually start with the key and you just need a keyless entry remote where you press the unlock button on the remote to open the car?
Yes. Physical key starts car and also turns door lock but that does not unlock door, found that the hard way.

So yes we want the key less remote part.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:13 AM

That's weird that you can't unlock the door with the key, that should be mechanical (in case the battery is dead) Did you try the passenger side if it has a key hole on it?

Your locks may be broken inside the door or something I would be extremely surprised if there was no way to unlock the car if your battery dies...

I found the self programming method for the key fobs online, unfortunately they require at least 1 programmed and working fob to self-register additional fobs and it doesn't look like there is a way to do it with just the key.

It seems like you will have to bite the bullet at the stealership to get a working fob and you might want to have someone look at the door locks unless someone else here can comment on that.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:24 AM

That's weird that you can't unlock the door with the key, that should be mechanical (in case the battery is dead) Did you try the passenger side if it has a key hole on it?

Your locks may be broken inside the door or something I would be extremely surprised if there was no way to unlock the car if your battery dies...

I found the self programming method for the key fobs online, unfortunately they require at least 1 programmed and working fob to self-register additional fobs and it doesn't look like there is a way to do it with just the key.

It seems like you will have to bite the bullet at the stealership to get a working fob and you might want to have someone look at the door locks unless someone else here can comment on that.
No passenger key hole. Doing research I found out there is no mechanical part of the door it is electronic, thus for some reason it does not open. Could be a setting or malfunction. I still do have manufactures warranty so if it is broken they should fix that. Of course a lost remote is not covered in warranty.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:24 PM

On the 2010 XLS the door lock I'm 99.5% sure it's mechnical.. I have locked/unlocked the doors with the key before and you can feel it engaging an actual latch...

I'd also wonder why if the key was programmed into the ECU/BCM as a valid key to start the car why it would not accept it to electronically open the doors??

I'd see if they would fix that under warranty since the key should theoretically work in both places even if you don't have keyless entry for now...

Making the key electronically controlled in the new models seems nuts to me... What if you leave your lights on and your battery dies? How are you supposed to get in to pop the hood?

Quick Reply: Outlander 2012 keyfob missing how do I get a new one