Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2012 keyfob missing how do I get a new one

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
Yes, if there is a plastic **** that you turn to start the car, that's the FAST system. Those fobs are more expensive. It's nice because it never leaves your pocket.

Are you sure it had bluetooth from the factory??? I don't know about 2012 models, but my 2009 has bluetooth steering wheel controls, i think all cars have them. But you still had to buy a module to make it work. The original owner didn't opt for it.
Yes it must be a FAST system, it is nice. No it never had a bluetooth module in it but the auction thought it did because it had controls we are disappointing but also the auction didn't say it had 3rd row seats, it does and we were surprised it had backup camera.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM

I didn't think mitsu was stupid enough to make an electronic only system for a physical key... Will the dealer fix that under warranty?

The FAST system is awesome... I was just thinking about how great it was today...
It's a 2 way system, that's one of the reasons it costs more. When you make a request at the car the car sends a challenge to the fob which responds with a response so the fob isn't always transmitting and draining the battery.

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander At-A-Glance - Mitsubishi Newsroom <- They say the FAST system is on the SE and GT in that year so yeah you have it for sure.

I know I've seen mentions of having to add the BT module... both 2010 XLS I bought came with it, I think it's standard in the higher trims.

The Navi system comes as a package with the camera and they all have the 3rd row seating.

I bet if you call around to some auto wreckers you can find the module for a decent price... I think you need to buy the mic module that plugs in by the map light switch as well. This should give you voice control as well. You can buy it for a few hundred bucks on eBay worst case... It's usually just behind the radio unless they moved it in the newer model.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
I didn't think mitsu was stupid enough to make an electronic only system for a physical key... Will the dealer fix that under warranty?

The FAST system is awesome... I was just thinking about how great it was today...
It's a 2 way system, that's one of the reasons it costs more. When you make a request at the car the car sends a challenge to the fob which responds with a response so the fob isn't always transmitting and draining the battery.

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander At-A-Glance - Mitsubishi Newsroom <- They say the FAST system is on the SE and GT in that year so yeah you have it for sure.

I know I've seen mentions of having to add the BT module... both 2010 XLS I bought came with it, I think it's standard in the higher trims.

The Navi system comes as a package with the camera and they all have the 3rd row seating.

I bet if you call around to some auto wreckers you can find the module for a decent price... I think you need to buy the mic module that plugs in by the map light switch as well. This should give you voice control as well. You can buy it for a few hundred bucks on eBay worst case... It's usually just behind the radio unless they moved it in the newer model.
Thanks very helpful info. I am corvette guy (1986) and don't know this stuff but it is fun learning and I enjoy the ride.

I will have more questions. The door should be covered by warranty unless they declare that someone broke into it and thus broke it. I don't know what my options are if that happens, door needs to be fixed.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:54 PM

Back in the day, my buddy was really into the whole fast and furious thing. He shave this door handles off, literally removed all door handles and bondo'd them flush, so it looks like the car had no door handles or a trunk key. The only way to open the doors were through the fob, with heavy duty solenoids which popped the doors out a few feet. So i asked him, what if your battery dies??

Well, he had 2 wires running to the battery which dangled out from under the engine bay. Someone would have to connect their jump cables to the 2 wires to give the car power.

You could always go that route, cheap and easy. Someone would have to jump the car anyways even if you could get in.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
Back in the day, my buddy was really into the whole fast and furious thing. He shave this door handles off, literally removed all door handles and bondo'd them flush, so it looks like the car had no door handles or a trunk key. The only way to open the doors were through the fob, with heavy duty solenoids which popped the doors out a few feet. So i asked him, what if your battery dies??

Well, he had 2 wires running to the battery which dangled out from under the engine bay. Someone would have to connect their jump cables to the 2 wires to give the car power.

You could always go that route, cheap and easy. Someone would have to jump the car anyways even if you could get in.
Sounds like the rest of my cars. This is my wife's car so I guess we will fix the door. We usually have pretty old cars so our 2012 Outlander with only 20k on it is our only "new" car and want the wife to have a nice one. My poor vette is jerry-rigged to keep running.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:39 PM

Programming is fun, it's even more fun when you can integrate it with a real device and control something physical... That's why I love rolling my own home automation stuff.
I do DIY stuff around the house. In bathroom have a fan I put in myself that is controlled by humidity once the shower is on it turns on once steam and humidity is high and turns off once it clears the room. Very cool it is a quiet 450CFM as compared to the normal noisy 110CFM fans.

My garage remote quit so I open and close the garage with a walkie talkie I had laying around. Control HVAC with smart phone and an Arduino WIFI unit, that was a fun project. Even made my own circuit boards for the sensor units.

Tell me some of your projects, love to hear about them.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:17 PM

It started with an X10 light switch and a remote I had lying around.
Then I added a wifi thermostat, and a PC X10 interface...
Then I started building my own automation platform, got the API for the X10 interface and wrote my own driver/control program as the one they included was rubbish.
Then I added my alarm integration for alerting and events, I got the relay module for it to control an electric strike on my gate and because I couldn't run a wire I hacked a garage door opener into the relay module so I could open/close my door via my keyfob or my PC alarm interface...
I put in a ceiling fan with a remote and hacked that into a relay module so my PC could control that and the living room lights when I got home /left.
Added an IR interface to control my entertainment system automatically when I go to bed or leave the house so the cat has music...
I added a couple different smart light bulbs around the house and a few more X10 modules all writing the code to control each piece of hardware's API and integrate it into the main web interface.. Glued a tablet to the wall and use it as a local touch pad...
Integrated a bunch of cameras and did some PC vision stuff to tell if lights are on/off in the basement... Wrote a fully multi user, granular access management interface...

I made a video about it, going to update it in the next day or two and I'll post the link...

I grabbed a few arduino's online to start doing some hardware hacking and I've glued a servo to my office light switch and got a serial control of my lights from my desk :P

I've been doing car stereos and electronics for a while now too... I just like tinkering :P
I got the cable for programming my Outlander too, that's kinda fun... You can do most of the useful stuff with the factory navi.. I have an aftermarket one though so I have to do it all through the PC.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:11 PM

Here's the videos that demo it all...

Home automation Part 1
Part 2

Whole thing is well under a grand including 5 IP cameras.

You should replace your walkie talkie with one of These

Last edited by Guyfromhe; 07-16-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:03 AM

Here's the videos that demo it all...

Home automation Part 1
Part 2

Whole thing is well under a grand including 5 IP cameras.

You should replace your walkie talkie with one of These
Very very cool, leaving for Dallas today for business trip so look at it in detail this weekend. Should take this offline we got a lot to discuss I will PM you and we can exchange email addresses.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:05 AM

I got the cable for programming my Outlander too, that's kinda fun... You can do most of the useful stuff with the factory navi.. I have an aftermarket one though so I have to do it all through the PC.
Which cable do you have, how much is it? What can it do?

Quick Reply: Outlander 2012 keyfob missing how do I get a new one