Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander air filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 AM

I am using K&N air filter for 2 months now without any problem. I don't think the filter is the problem.
Did you replaced the K&N to the OEM one yet and reset the error code? is the problem came back?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 AM

Yes after the 8k maintenance they cleared the error and installed the OEM filter. The check engine light has not come back on. If it does I will update again.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:39 AM

If you remove the two screws/clips for the intake duct at the front radiator mount, you can completely remove the intake duct and outer section of the airbox. If you then look inside the outer section of the airbox, you can unclip the duct from the outer part of the airbox. Then you can easily put the filter in and get all three parts (outer airbox/filter/inner airbox) back together. then just push the intake duct back into the outer filter box section until it clicks back in place and replace the two screws/clips. Takes all of 3 minutes and you're sure everything is back in place properly.
I use this same method and it works really well. As noted, be gentle with the plastic screws & plugs so you can re-use them.

On a side note, I just cleaned my K&N filter and found the bottom of the housing unclipped. I usually give the housing a good pull/twist to make sure it is secure.
When I mentioned this to my wife (her car) she said when the dealer changed the oil, they commented that the air filter was okay. This leads me to believe that they opened it up to see, but did not put it back properly. Even the dealer doesn't get it right every time!!

Follow the instructions above closely and you will not have any problems.

Good Luck,
Mark

Old 07-11-2012, 02:22 AM

how did you cleaned your K&N filter?

did you used their recomanded oil?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:52 PM

Everything is easy to assemble the set, for which we must be patient. I've changed twice

Old 08-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Default Screw Clips

Originally Posted by ruski
Went to try removing the screw/clips that hold the air tube to the front radiator mount, and one of them is not unscrewing

The philips "screw" is just spinning inside the outer clip body.

BTW, these are the clips (does anyone know where one could buy new ones? I checked local auto stores and they don't care them)
I started the process described in the manual for replacing the engine air cleaner for my 2010 Outlander. I was stopped on the very first step, with the same problem described above. The screw spins inside the clip. I reached under the mount to hold the clip and it is not spinning. Not sure how to proceed. Any ideas?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 AM

try use something thin like a razor blade of a utility knife to help lift up the inner screw while you use the screw driver.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the advice with the plastic screw clip removal. The razor blade worked, but a little too well on the first screw (I cut the head right off). The second one remains intact.

The installation of the new air filter went well; no major problems. Easier than replacing the air filter on my old Subaru Forester.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
If it's the same as the 09 Outlander, just don't be OVERly forceful and you'll be fine.

If the brackets at the bottom do separate, the only way you can get them back in is to NOT have the air filter in there. WIth the filter out, line up the two pieces, but maybe even angle the movable peice (the one without the MAF sensor) down a bit and then push them together. THey should lock. To make sure, try and life the movable peice up - it should now be connected to the other piece.

At this point,take the air filter and wedge it down in place - DO NOT pull the two peices apart TOO much or the bottom will come undone again. Just pull the tops apart enough and force the filter in. Then clip the metal peieces together and DONE!

(I just went through this this morning)....lol
Great advice sir! My '07 Air Filter bottom hinges are finally connected and the filter more secure than its likely been in 6 years! ha.

THX
Doug

Old 05-06-2014, 10:16 AM

I have a band new K&N outlander air filter... i installed it, put about 35 miles on and then installed my cool air intake instead. If anyone is interested in it just let me know.

Quick Reply: Outlander air filter