Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander GT 2014 speedometer bad reading

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Exclamation Outlander GT 2014 speedometer bad reading

A while back someone hinted to me that their speedometer was reading 5kph faster than what the car is actually going (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...maybe-46947/#2)

Over the week-end, I have tested this and I must say I have the same "issue". I have a brand new GPS (Garmin 2797LMT) and when I was going 100kph on the dashboard, the GPS was telling me I was going ~95-96kph.

Has anybody else tested this on their car and have the same results as us?

Would anyone know why this is like so?

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Well, the dealer told me that they were aware and that Mitsubishi had no fix for it...

Old 09-04-2014, 05:33 PM

It is by design, nothing to fix.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Speedometers have normal errors where GPS are more accurate.

I've never seen a GPS match the speedometer.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 PM

It is off by 5km on purpose, by design. Speed reported by the OBD reader by the ECU is very accurate and matches my gps exactly. I don't know the real reason why they chose to show different speed on the speedometer, but it is definitely intentional and not something they are going to fix. My guess is that they are maybe trying to avoid getting into legal issues when cars end up speeding when on cruise control. I noticed the speed tolerance is around 5km/h. I mean it lets the car go over the set limit by this much before actively trying to slow it down to preset speed. Doing this likely helps fuel economy when going downhill on cruse control.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:03 PM

So why do you say that it is intentional? Do you have any references to back your statement? If it is intentional they should tell their dealerships because they do not know!

Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Caocao
If it is intentional they should tell their dealerships because they do not know!
Who - they? Speedo offset is not Mitsu's invention.

But speaking of dealerships - you won't find more stupid and uneducated morons than at most dealerships. All they know is overcharging you and rejecting warranty claims.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Default Speedo Error

I hate the fact that there is an approximately 5~7 Kph offset on my 2014 Outlander. My motorbike is the same but my 2002 Lincoln LS is exact.
I corrected this on my 2010 Outlander when I purchased a new set of tires. I will do the same with the 2014.
I feel this practice is over-reporting the speed, as is common with many manufacturers, is ridiculous but when a company sells their product in a litigious society such as the USA one must PYA.
A bigger concern would be if the odometer is correct? Warranty, service, fuel performance, etc. is all based on the odometer.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:56 PM

There are 2 options regarding speedo offset BTW:

Old 09-12-2014, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
Who - they? Speedo offset is not Mitsu's invention.

But speaking of dealerships - you won't find more stupid and uneducated morons than at most dealerships. All they know is overcharging you and rejecting warranty claims.
The 3 previous vehicles that i had(pilot, civic, crv) were all bang on as well as my current DD ( impreza). All were purchased brand new.

Quick Reply: Outlander GT 2014 speedometer bad reading