Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander vs. CX-7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Default Outlander vs. CX-7?

I know this is probably the wrong place to post asking for unbiased opinions , but I'm currently shopping and have narrowed my choices down to the Outlander and the Mazda CX-7. The Outlander wins on interior room, stereo, and gas mileage, but the Mazda seems to have a more refined interior, a backup camera on the NAV, and it just looks cooler (not that the Outlander looks bad, mind you).

I'm a mid-30's father of 2, so cargo space and the optional 3rd row seat in the XLSare both bigfactors too, especially to my wife, who would like me to haul the kids and their friends around more without having to steal the Odyssey. Based on Edmunds TMV prices, the Mazdas seem to be selling at closer to invoice than the Mitsubishis, so I could probably get a fully loaded Mazda GT for not a whole lot more, and possibly the same price, as a fully loaded XLS.

If it helps keep me from getting flamed, I'm leaning towards the Outlander [sm=smiley17.gif]. I'm just looking for outher buying experiences, and why you ultimately chose the Outlander. Thanks.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Sal
Default RE: Outlander vs. CX-7?

CX-7 is a good vehicle no doubt. Stopping distances are very short compared to outlander. You need to stay on top of oil changes with the turbo tho.. It will cook the oil

I went with outlander because it seems like a very nifty package with all the goodies and third row. Third row can come in handy once in a while. CX doesnt have that flexibility. Rear leg room was a bit tight in CX as well (ok outlander is not much better).. so on and on.. its upto you.

Advice: go with your heart not head.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Sal

CX-7 is a good vehicle no doubt. Stopping distances are very short compared to outlander. You need to stay on top of oil changes with the turbo tho.. It will cook the oil

I went with outlander because it seems like a very nifty package with all the goodies and third row. Third row can come in handy once in a while. CX doesnt have that flexibility. Rear leg room was a bit tight in CX as well (ok outlander is not much better).. so on and on.. its upto you.

Advice: go with your heart not head.
Good point on the oil, hadn't really thought of that. And while I said I like the CX-7's styling a little better, I also lovelistening music, and the Outlander's stereo has everything I want.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:22 PM

We actually compared the CX-7 and Outlander and ended up going with the Outlander for a few reasons.

First of all, they (Mazda) told us you are only supposed to run supreme fuel in the CX-7 (guessing because of the turbo) and that was somewhat of a turn off. They also told us that you should allow the vehicle to idle for approx 30 sec to let the turbo cool before turing it off. I have to do this with my Powerstroke after pulling a heavy trailer, but everytime in the CX-7 could get annoying. My wife and I would probably forget from time to time as well.

We mainly got the Outlander due to increased storage in the cargo area. In addition to what seemed like A LOT more room you also get a folding tailgate so the dog doesn't have to destroy the painted bumper everytime he gets in the car.

Overall, the CX-7 seemed to be more powerful. Not to say the the Mitsubishi can't hold its own though. I thought they both drove/handled really well though. Only issues I have with the Outlander are the ones discussed on this forum. Our front end popped in the beginning but is fine now (the dealership still wants to change the wheel bearings) and the wind noise from the driver side window (the dealship is supposed to repair this next time we take it in for maint.)

Hope these few things helped.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:55 PM

I have been test driving both cars too and I am going for the Outlander as well.
They both have pros and cons but over all I think that theOutlander has more room, third row seating and (more) features that I prefer.

When it ll comes down to the end it is up to you what you prefer. They are both good Japanese cars for the price.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: rockford04

First of all, they (Mazda) told us you are only supposed to run supreme fuel in the CX-7 (guessing because of the turbo) and that was somewhat of a turn off. They also told us that you should allow the vehicle to idle for approx 30 sec to let the turbo cool before turing it off. I have to do this with my Powerstroke after pulling a heavy trailer, but everytime in the CX-7 could get annoying. My wife and I would probably forget from time to time as well.

Premium in a turbo is a given. High compression engines need the resistance to detonation premium gives. But for the 30 second cool down period....maybe in 1993. With todays modern turbos and turbo setups, unless you are racing the car right up until you stop you don't need to let the turbo cool. A turbo car today should be just as reliable as an NA car.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:50 PM

i believe that 30 sec turbo 'cool-down' is not only for cooling but for oiling as well; remember, when you shut down the engine, especially after a high-rev stretch, that turbo is spinning at many thousands of rpm's with no oil being pumped as the ignition is off. if immediately shut down, what oil remains in the turbo can be rendered harmful by coking....i don't recall being told nor having to do that with a mitsu evo 8 i had for a weekend, though when i thought about it, after having driven trucks a few years, i'd let the engine idle down for at least that, which i certainly don't find that annoying. i'm sure you let your car 'warm' up at least that much in very cold weather, no? turbo cars and trucks of years ago had to idle for at least 3-4 minutes before shut-down, and even 'warm up' for a minute or two, so how bad can thirty seconds be, especially if you're forced to replace a turbo later for not doing it...? many street cars have turbo- timers for just this reason, and at less than $100, a very wise investment; they're not just for racers!

Old 02-18-2007, 09:51 PM

yup, was just gonna suggest a turbo timer.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:38 AM

I considered the CX-7 too. I'd recommend youcheck outhttp://www.mcx7.com/to see some feedback from CX-7 owners.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 AM

It's nice to know the Outlander isn't the only one with some minor issues.

I'm picking up my deep blue XLS today. Thanks for the input.