Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Periodic Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Default Periodic Inspection

Its time for me to change the oil in my outie and also do the 30.000 mile check up
The problem is my dealer wants $465 to do this service.
Should I pay this ridiculous amount of money for something that is probably not needed?
Im afraid that if I don't do it Mitsu will void my warranty.

What do you guys think?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Default RE: Periodic Inspection

My outtie dealer lists the cost of the 30,000 mile service at $273. Besides the obvious oil change the other services listed at 30,000 miles should be done. Many of the 30,000 mile services involve inspecting suspension parts and brakes.By catching a small problem early such as cracks in the drive shaft boots, it can save a big repair later.

If you don't have the services done and a problem developes later, mitsu could refuse to pay what normally would be a repair covered by warranty. Of course you don't have to go to the dealer for these servives. Most local repair shops will do the services at a lower price. Just make sure you keep all receipts and paperwork to show the services were done.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:21 PM

The 30,000 mile service includes a transmission flush, which should be done atleast every 50k, but recommended every 30k.I asked how much the tranny flush ran by itself, my dealer quoted me $169. Im at 23k miles, but when I hit 30k I'll probably just have them do an oil change and tranny flush, not the full 30k service...

like azjake said though, the full price 30k check-up includes inspection of things that could prevent problems down the road. Its up to you, but I think those inspections are more important later down the road, like 100k. Since the warranty is 60k you could wait till you are closer to that, then have it done and if something comes up it is still covered.

My dealer inspects the general stuff (ex. brakes, suspension) at every oil change though. So I feel that I get a decent look over ever time and thatthe 30k service is a way for them to charge a little more.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:09 PM

My dealer has a 27 point inspection that they do at all oil changes which isthe technican walking around checking things on the underside of the car while its up on the rack for the oil change. They also top off all fluids which is handy because that way I don't have to go out and buy all the different fluids and store them. I also check under the hood every week or so to make sure things are ok.

Being in Phoenix with the heat I followmitsu's severe maintenance schedule which is oil changes every 3 months or 3,000 miles. I realize the 30,000 mile service is not cheap, but I want the peace of mind since my wife and I travel quite a bit, and once you get outside of Phoenix it can be 50 miles or more between towns, so if youget stuck with a breakdown it can take a lot of time for help to arrive. Also the long warranty was one of the things that attracted me to mitsu and if something does go wrong, I don't want to give mitsu an excuse to not cover it.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 AM

now some outlander are getting at least 2 to 3 years old get them to change the brake fluid its hydroscopic (attracts moisture). You have to ask your dealer to change it and its extra. Aircon may need recharging and servicing at 36-48 month

when the car at the dealership they will carry out minor recalls (the ones the dont tell you about) and update ecu software from the factory, things that none mitsubishi dealer cannot do

A full main dealer service history helps resale value. You can supply the oil and plugs if you want for the service I always did

puddy