Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Photo sensor on the 07 XLS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Default RE: Photo sensor on the 07 XLS?

ORIGINAL: dodo2

Great! Thanks Ash.

Roach: do you have the Navi on your Canadian XLS? The reason I'masking is that somebuttons seem to work differently between the Navi and non-Navi models. One example is the steering wheel up/down buttons functionality. Justcovering the bases.
I don't have the Navi on my canadian XLS. But I don't get it why it would affect the photo sensor part of the truck ?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:55 AM

Hi guys,
I got it also in my Australian VRX Outlander - samelocation andpicture as theone posted by rcpax. The auto on/off headlight is not a standard or even an optionalfeature in Aussie Outlanders but according to the manual it does have something to do with the auto climate control. The only thing I noticed that this seems to work is if I have a foggy windshield and the aircon is set to auto, it automatically directs the exhaust to windshield and acts as a demister. I didn't also notice anything regarding the console display automatically lighting up at dusk.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:21 PM

We might add some relay to the circuit, because it's mostly prewiring that's there, but the other components are not. I too would like to have this feature. For those without the auto leveling Headlights, that's another good project too. There's actually a wheel switch in one of the blanks where the ASC OFF button is.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: roach

Great! Thanks Ash.

Roach: do you have the Navi on your Canadian XLS? The reason I'masking is that somebuttons seem to work differently between the Navi and non-Navi models. One example is the steering wheel up/down buttons functionality. Justcovering the bases.
I don't have the Navi on my canadian XLS. But I don't get it why it would affect the photo sensor part of the truck ?
I know it doesn't make much sense, but I'm trying to determine if there are any other interdependencies with othersystems in the car. The example I gave with the steering wheel up/down buttons working differentlyonthe XLS with/without Navi. BTW: How do they work in your car: do they move between the presetstations orjust to the nextstation available?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:30 PM

Great! Thanks Ash.

I know it doesn't make much sense, but I'm trying to determine if there are any other interdependencies with othersystems in the car. The example I gave with the steering wheel up/down buttons working differentlyonthe XLS with/without Navi. BTW: How do they work in your car: do they move between the presetstations orjust to the nextstation available?
It goes to the next station what is stupid to me because it should go to the next preset I don't know if there's a way to change that because it will be great ! But I get your point now about the none navi XLS and the Navi XLS

Old 10-26-2007, 01:32 PM

The sensor is not for the dash lighting up. The dash (gauge cluster) is already pre-light to some extent for purpose of entering tunnels, parking garages and so forth. When the headlamps are turned on, the entire dash does light up, whether from manual or auto activation.

With that being said, the sensor is for models that have the auto on/off headlamp options.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:34 PM

Let's get one thing straight here:

Auto ON/OFF headlightsIS NOT an option on any US/Canada model. This IS an option in some other markets.

The question is what is the function of the photo sensor present on the US/Canadian XLS models?
Could it be used to enable the Auto ON/OFF headlights feature? If YES, what mods are required to accomplish that?

I hope I summarized it clear enough for everyone.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:35 PM

I wonder if there is a way to hardwire the turning on of the dash lights by the photo sensor to the headlights also; so both would come on together. On the Canadian XLS, it only turns on the dash lights and nothing else when the sensor gets dark. The dash lights remain off otherwise.

You can test by covering the sensor completly and watch the dash lights come on. I will have to look up the place where I heard the rumor that it is possible to program the sensor to control the headlights too.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:40 PM

Great! Thanks Ash.

It goes to the next station what is stupid to me because it should go to the next preset I don't know if there's a way to change that because it will be great ! But I get your point now about the none navi XLS and the Navi XLS

Agreed. I too find it useless 99% of the time, but that's how it is and they (Mitsu) say it cannot be changed. On the other hand, the Navi owners have reported that on their vehicles is move through the presets (theright way to do).

Old 10-26-2007, 03:40 PM

Doesnt appear I need to get the picture now. There are 2 already.

I am stumped on what it does now too. All my guesses were ruled out already.

Quick Reply: Photo sensor on the 07 XLS?