Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Popping noise from front when braking

Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Default Popping noise from front when braking

Has anybody noticed a popping/ clunk noise from front of car when braking you can also feel it through the brake pedal it sounds a bit like suspension clunks from an old high milage car sometimes not very loud,
is an december 08 outlander received with 70 miles on speedo now done 14000 any ideas has been checked out and garage cant find anything loose or broken or out of place?
anybody else?
cheers

Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM

Haven't noticed any braking noise on my Outlander, but I had a 2003 Hyundai Elantra that made a similiar type of noise when braking and it turned out to be the calipers. There was no problem with the calipers, and the brakes worked fine, but they just happened to make noise when applying pressure to the brake rotor.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:13 AM

Hi, yeah thanks for that i did only notice it after a service when they changed the front brake pads, they confirmed that they were genuine mitsubishi parts perhaps it all needs to bed in again ?
cheers

Old 06-13-2009, 10:24 PM

I've had that issue in the past. I believe you have a genuine issue to pick with at the dealer. It shouldn't be making that noise. Maybe a clip or backing pad was not put in or the pads were not put in right. They should fix it by replacing it. hopefully it hasn't been too long since you had it done.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by helicopterred
Has anybody noticed a popping/ clunk noise from front of car when braking you can also feel it through the brake pedal it sounds a bit like suspension clunks from an old high milage car sometimes not very loud,
is an december 08 outlander received with 70 miles on speedo now done 14000 any ideas has been checked out and garage cant find anything loose or broken or out of place?
anybody else?
cheers
Was a cause for this ever found? I have a very similar problem on my 2010 Outlander. It is more noticable if you brake when turning. Would like to be able to point the dealer in the right direction

Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by furtzy
Was a cause for this ever found? I have a very similar problem on my 2010 Outlander. It is more noticable if you brake when turning. Would like to be able to point the dealer in the right direction
Mitsubishi changed the top suspension strut bearings as they said there was excessive play but this made no difference.
to be honest it did go away for a while but i have noticed it recently but not as bad and not always, just had another set of brake pads so i reckon the noise is linked to something to do with brake pads, changing brake pads or perhaps bad set of brake pads, this is only a guess, you know what its like to totally forget about it untill it suddenly comes back which was after a pad change.
I hope it has helped or possibly ruled somthing out im still clueless to be honest
Cheers

Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 PM

I have that problem only if I'm braking from high speed and hitting a pothole/dip/bump at the same time. Always on the passenger side. It sounds like a really loud chassis bang, like strut mounts are broken or something. I checked it to be ok. I also brought it to the dealer when I had my first oil change. They couldn't reproduce it thus no fix. It still happens after 50k miles whenever it brake and hit a bump.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Interesting! I noticed the noise shortly after changing my brakes (pads and rotors).
I hear the noise when it's hot outside and I steer at low speed (e.g. parking).
Good to know I'm not alone and it seems like it started after I did the brakes job and the weather warmed up. I'll bring it up with the dealer.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by dodo2
Interesting! I noticed the noise shortly after changing my brakes (pads and rotors).
I hear the noise when it's hot outside and I steer at low speed (e.g. parking).
Good to know I'm not alone and it seems like it started after I did the brakes job and the weather warmed up. I'll bring it up with the dealer.
My exact symptoms. It only started after I had the calipers greased due to a rubbing sound. Like yourself it only happens with braking combined with low speed steering. Heat also seems to be a factor as it does not occur when the car is cold. Hot weather not a factor as I live in Ireland

Car is booked in for a service next Monday and the dealer has been told to give the brakes the once over

Last edited by furtzy; 06-08-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:40 AM

Got the car back from the dealer yesterday and the noise has gone....for now They took off the calipers and pads and inspected and cleaned everything. They said everything was in working order and reassembled it. They also applied some Permatex Disk Brake Quiet spray. Hopefully its gone for good but I have my doubts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Popping noise from front when braking