Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Power outlets don't work when the ignition is off??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Default Power outlets don't work when the ignition is off??

Just wanted to know if there is any way to make the power outlets work when the ignition is turned off, aka let your phone charge when you are not in the vehicle and it is locked up. or do they only work when you are in the car with the key turned at least half way????

Old 05-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Default RE: Power outlets don't work when the ignition is off??

The AC outlet inverter only works when the ignition is on (it presumes the engine is running and the alternator is working properly so you don't drain the battery). The accessory outlets work when the key is in the accessory postion - i.e. you don't need to have the key in the 'on' position.

You could move the DC supply wire on the inverterto a constant source but your cell charger will drain your battery this way. If you do this, you would also want to install a manual switch and I would probably have it drive it a relay just in case you decide to do something even more silly like plug a television in!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:50 PM

yeah, I guess it makes sense in order to not kill the battery. Every car I have ever owned untuil this point has let you drain it if you want to.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:51 PM

See? Mitsubishi loves you!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Actually, all kidding aside, you've got me thinking - it would be quite easy to install a solar panel charger and a voltage monitoring circuit that could switch a constant DC source off when the voltage drops below a certain point. That would mostly address the issue of inadvertent battery drain. Depending on the draw ofcell charger versus supply charge of a solar panel it might be quite neutral. In areas where there is no ability for supplementary charging (i.e. covered garage), the monitor could shut down the inverter pior to draining the battery below a level where you couldn't re-start the vehicle.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:04 PM

If you build it.... investors will come....

Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 PM

actually when my girlfriend bought her volkswagen golf, they gave her a solar panel that plugs in to the power outlet in order to keep the battery from draining if parked for a while. apperently it works real well here in Colorado during a sunny week, she parked it for a week while we were on vacation and the thing fired right up, no hesitation!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:27 PM

I bought a solar cell from Canadian Tire for $9.99. Plugs into the 12 v outlet and trickle charges the battery.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:30 PM

Youd think theyd make these things stock? Seems plausable.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:55 PM

Only problem is the size and durability of the solar cell for a stock mount. Ideally you'd want it on the roof and inset something like a sunroof - that would be a pretty sweet set up. Hmmm, so many ideas and not enough time for them all!

Quick Reply: Power outlets don't work when the ignition is off??