Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Power outlets don't work when the ignition is off??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Default RE: Power outlets don't work when the ignition is off??

Just a question here. Instead of pluging a solar panel charger into your car and then plugging your cell phone into your car, why not by pass the car? Just hook up the solar panel to charge your cell phone or power a tv like mentioned before. Theres no point to plug your solar panel into your car then plug a cell phone into your car its kind of redundant.
cerberus9could you tell me the website where you paid 9.99$ for a solar charger? Thanks.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:17 PM

I think the whole point was to suggest a way to use the accessory outlets and/or inverter when the car is off without detrimental effects on the battery. eg. if you wanted to use the DVD player without turning the car on or maybe you want to hookup a PS3 while the car is off.

But you are right as far as why not just use a solar panel directly to charge the cell - it is much easier.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:42 PM

I thought the whole thing started out by wanting the outlets to stay on when the car was off. To do that your going to have to hot wire the outlets. Find something giving off 12 volts when the car is off or wire it to the fuse box where theres 12 volts all the time. You might want to wire in an inline fuse too, maybe a kill switch. Its not that hard to do if Im thinking of the right way to do it.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 AM

Yep and it morphed into a discussion of how not to drain the battery if in fact there was constant power. But I agree with your suggestion of a kill switch and inline fuse particularly on the accessory outlets.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:13 PM

Some info about the outlets in the LS model, the 12V in the dash shuts off with the ignition.

The 12V inside the center console staysON with the ignition off.

I didnt check the one in the back by the liftgate but Im betting it stays on too.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 PM

I'll vouch for the armrest outlet, I discovered that this weekend

Old 05-14-2007, 11:16 AM

Nice! I just tried it this morning and that is what i was looking for! Tried the one in the rear and it does not stay on, but does not matter- the one in the console is good, plus the phone is out of sight out of mind!
Thanks!