Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Question about Air Conditioning Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Default Question about Air Conditioning Light

I just bought a 2010 Outlander XLS V6 and really love it. There's a question bugging me for the past few days and after reviewing the manual I can't really figure out. When I turn the vent mode dial all the way to the right (ON the front windshield defrost icon) the Air Conditioning light on the middle dial lights up. This seems a little strange since I have the heat maxed and am trying to defrost the cold window. Is this normal? I've been just pushing the dial to turn off the air conditioning light up to this point, but can I just leave it on and ignore it?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:03 PM
tcp
Default normal

AC dehumidifies the air which helps clear your windshield. Even in cold weather, removing moisture from the air is helpful in clearing the glass. Completely normal. Unless you live in a low humidity environment, leave it on.

Originally Posted by UltraSmooth
I just bought a 2010 Outlander XLS V6 and really love it. There's a question bugging me for the past few days and after reviewing the manual I can't really figure out. When I turn the vent mode dial all the way to the right (ON the front windshield defrost icon) the Air Conditioning light on the middle dial lights up. This seems a little strange since I have the heat maxed and am trying to defrost the cold window. Is this normal? I've been just pushing the dial to turn off the air conditioning light up to this point, but can I just leave it on and ignore it?

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 AM

Thanks so much for the reply. Makes a lot of sense, just not used to seeing the AC light on in the winter

Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by UltraSmooth
Thanks so much for the reply. Makes a lot of sense, just not used to seeing the AC light on in the winter
Most if not every modern car does use the AC if switched to windshield defog. But often there is no indication of this (except of noticable engine load increase).

Few year ago I was driving 2000 Mazda MPV so there was a common mod for avoiding such AC activation by cutting a piece on air selection fob.

So thanks Mitsu for letting us override and even un-program this feature if needed.