Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

radio killing battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Default radio killing battery

2008 xls, battery dieing withing 24 hours, did the resistor test to find the parasitic drain and found out the stock 2008 rockford radio is drawing 3 volts with key off. the radio itself is also off (well the display and sound anyway) but if I pull the 15amp radio fuse under dash the drain stops. sorry I do not know how many amps its drawing as i only have a volt meter and did the resistor test. any ideas?

Old 11-18-2015, 10:08 PM

I wouldn't expect to see 3 volts at the radio when it's off.. And if it's killing your battery in a day there's a problem...

Does the battery stay good if you leave the radio fuse out? Are any other systems affected?

Did you disconnect the battery and let everything reset?

I would probably pull the head unit out and see if the drain is gone... If that's the case a new HU is pretty cheap online or at a junk yard.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:39 AM

3 volts go away after radio fuse is pulled, i dont know exactly how the resistance test works I just know the battery draw stopped after pulling that fuse.

battery is fine and lasts for... ~ as long as that fuse remains out.

This did start happening after I disconnected the battery to remove the drivers airbag.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:07 AM

Have you removed the battery again since then?

That's a strange problem to start happening like that...

Old 11-19-2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
Have you removed the battery again since then?

That's a strange problem to start happening like that...
Yes, the battery has been connected and disconnected 3 times in total. I'm going to try and get ahold of a DC amp meter to get a better reading.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:36 AM

okay so the radio alone with key off is drawing 2 amps per hour. ive been searching forums and the most ive found is a diode "leaking" voltage from the memory draw. guess its time for a new radio...

Old 11-26-2015, 08:42 AM

Looks like they are about $75-100 on eBay... I would call some local scrap yards you might get a better deal.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
Looks like they are about $75-100 on eBay... I would call some local scrap yards you might get a better deal.
I pulled the radio today and with it disconnected and out there is still a draw on that fuse so I tested the fuse to ground for continuity and everything checked out fine.. Is there something else on the radio fuse? It is fuse 7 and it's a 15 amp fuse under the dash. I looked in repair manual and couldn't find a fuse description diagram.

** so according to a Mitsubishi dealer that fuse also powers bluetooth and navigation, and I have neither of them... again with radio out there is still a draw on that fuse.

Last edited by Here2Learn; 11-27-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-29-2015, 03:04 PM

Okay so its fixed now.. it was the bluetooth module I didnt think I had, the buttons on the steering wheel hasnt worked since I got the car so I thought I didnt have the module, looking down in behind the radio I saw it mounted and disconnected it and the drain is gone. thanks for taking the time to read my posts.

second note, behind the radio is a harness that is taped up and out of the way, any idea what that goes to?

Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 AM

Good that you found it.
I'm not 100% sure but I think that harness might be for the MMCs.

Quick Reply: radio killing battery