Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Radio no volume

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Default Radio no volume

I have an '08 XLS with 650 watt RF/no nav. The other day my daughter tried to turn on the radio after I had stepped out of the car (engine was still running). When I got back to the car the radio was on, but no sound. The display shows all is working, including satallite radio and CD. I tried pulling the fuse for the radio and then the amplifier, but no luck. I searched for similar problems and found only one. In that case, the problem seemed to fix itself - no such luck with mine yet. I live in Canada, so snow on amp may be an issue. I tried drying it out (fan, no heat), but still no luck yet. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Default RE: Radio no volume

I had a very similar problem, it started the way you explained, but eventually, maybe a month or 2 later,an intermittent error popped up on the radio display. At that point I took it to the dealer, and told them about the problem and I suggested that it could be the Amp. they proceeded with replacing the radio, not the amp, a couple of days later the error popped up again, this time they replaced the amp, and I have been problem free ever-since, this was last June.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Default Radio fixed

My radio is fixed. I pulled the original amp fuse and it looked OK, no visible problems or breaks. Before I made the three hour trip to the dealership, I figured I would buy a new fuse and pop it in, couldn't hurt right? Well, voila! It works. Guess the old fuse had blown. Even the parts guy at the local automotive shop did not think the original was blown. I don't think the amp likes extremely cold weather - it was -30 C the day it crapped out. Good thing is, I now have a bunch of new fuses ready to go if it happens again. Hopefully if anyone else has this same problem it's as simple a fix as mine. Cheers!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Default RE: Radio fixed

Good to know I live in Canada too and never got that problem but if I do get it I will try that. Thx for the info

Old 01-08-2009, 02:17 PM

I hope you are right, mine also seem to work well for a period of time after it just "fixed itself". Have you put the old fuse back in and proved that it was in fact the fuse, and not just something that got reset?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: chenarm

I hope you are right, mine also seem to work well for a period of time after it just "fixed itself". Have you put the old fuse back in and proved that it was in fact the fuse, and not just something that got reset?
Before I put in the new fuse I pulled the old fuse and put it back in again - nothing. As soon as I put in the new fuse, it worked immediately. I didn't get a chance to put the old one back in, the parts guy had already thrown it out by the time I went back into the shop. I guess the next time Mitsubishi winter tests a new vehicle it needs to come to Canada and put it to the "real" test...and bring extra fuses.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 PM

I just had this same problem after leaving my outlander out in the cold for the night when it was below minus 30. I had read this thread hoping that the fuse switch would solve the problem but that didn't work. I took it in to the dealer and they said that my problem seemed to be in the wiring connections to the amp itself. They added some sort of connective compound (probably tape or gum) to the connection and that fixed the problem.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 PM

I have a 2007 Outlander LS with the 650W Rockford Fosgate sound system and the audio started becoming intermittant. There is no pattern of how long the sound will play or not play. I'm taking it to the dealer next week to have it looked out. I will post what they do to repair it.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:55 PM
Default Radio no sound

So ive had the same problem. Not tried the fuse swap yet. I ha e 2015 lancer se. So my problem is basically the same no sound but radio is on and bluetooth to my phone, ive tried other phones and devices with same issue. But i also loose buttons on my display. Sometimes they are there sometimes the just disappear, and other times they are there but greyed out and cant be selected. Also... sometimes the volume will read that im changing it, by changing numbers at the top of the screen, sometimes ill play with volume and nothing shows or changes.