Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Real world MPG and Rust questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Default Real world MPG and Rust questions.

I am looking at a 2011 Outlander and have a few questions.

1.) How do you guys compare the 4-Cylinder to the V6? I have read reviews that the 4 cyclinder mated with the CVT tranny isn't the best thing and it lacks power for how big the Outlander really is. ALso, what kind of real work mileage are you guys getting with the 4 or V6?

2.) Rust. How are these things for rusting? I live in Canada, so we have 8 months of winter up here and salt on the roads. I have seen a few outlanders, used, that have rock chips on the wheel well areas, and I am wondering if they start to rust over time? Same with the hood.

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM

I've owned my 2008 4cyl Outlander for 45 months now and have no complaints about the power. However I do not tow anything, don't live in a mountain area, and rarely carry heavy loads. If any of things apply to you I would be safe and go with the 6cyl. Otherwise the 4cyl should be fine.

As far as mileage I get around 22mpg in city driving and around 25mpg on the highway.

Last edited by azjake; 03-26-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 PM

We've got a 07 outlander xls, that we bought at the beginning of the year, so far we have put almost 3500 miles on it. It is the v6 selectable 4wd ls model. We also average 22mpg. It gets around 20 city and 25 highway. For us it wasn't even a question as both my wife and I hate the way a cvt acts, and most of the reviews we read, the v6 gets almost as good economy as the 4cyl. We live in utah, where our car has spent its entire life, and the roads are salted here in the winters, and there is no rust on the car that I have noticed... We couldn't be happier with the choice.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM

Similar to Broncoman, I can get 21/22 MPG if I use cruise control in the city. Highway speeds (70mph) I can get around 25. Slow it down and the best I've gotten was 28MPG.

Here in Kansas City, the running joke is not to worry about salt because the city can't afford it!! hahaha! That never gets old! last time I checked during an oil change, I noticed some very light surface rust around joints on the frame. Nothing like the amount of rust on the frame of my much older Ranger...that poor girl has some cancer.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Default rust

I do not own any outlanders but can provide some insight to the rust as I have been looking to be a pre-owned one. I saw an 03 that had a little bit of rust in the engine compartment and also the suspension parts (not surface rust) were starting to slighly rust.
I also looked at an 05 and an 07 and neither had any signs of rust and I looked for it in all the common and not so common spots.
All 3 vehicles were in a state that heavily uses salt in winter months.
they seem to do pretty well in the not rusting category..

Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM

Never drove the 4-cyl CVT, so take this with a grain of salt (pun intended), but there's a good reason I didn't even consider it -- because it had a CVT. I owned a Murano for 3 years and really hated the CVT experience. Yes, the absence of shifting gears was smooth. But it always felt dogged, especially from a standstill...and that CVT was mated to a very good 245hp/245lb-tq V6 engine! Maybe the Mitsu CVT is more responsive, but IMO, CVTs really suck the fun out of vehicles. As others have said, fuel efficiency is nearly the same, so don't pick the 4-cyl for that. The way I see it, if you just want a vehicle to get you from A to B and you don't really need quickness (short highway on-ramps for example) or power (towing, 4+ adult passengers, etc.), then you can save money and get the 4-cyl. Otherwise, I'd suggest finding a V6.