Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Rear fog lights/lamp

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Default RE: Rear fog lights/lamp

Thank you tdford for your comments.

If the reflector lamps lights when the lights of the vehicle has been activated that means that the reflector unit has a socket with a bulb. A rear fog light bulb has the same wattage that the brake bulb. If the reflector lamps are ‘ON’ when the vehicle has its light ‘ON’ this means that the reflector lamps are powered by a wire -which is connected to the vehicle multi-function switch- that is also a component wire of the rear lower lights harness. The multi-function switch in conjunction with the OBC (on-board-computer) is responsible for the sequences of light ‘ON’ or lights ‘OFF’. The functionality of the OBC is programmable by a special VCI (Vehicle Communication Interface) device from Mitsubishi connected to the vehicle and also connected to a laptop.

The 2007 Outlander LS has an option called F3 Accessory Front Fog Lights that can be bought from the Part Department The kit consists of relay, stalk switch, fuse, and the front fog lamps) to be assembly by the owner or by the dealer. Instructions that come with the Option F3 are not clear and then the assemblage was done by the dealer. After removed the original stalk and replaced by the stalk in the kit, adding the relay in a hollow in the relay and fuse box the technician use his electronic device to instruct the OBC to recognize the new hardware (i.e. front fog light). After this action, the technician disconnected the VCI from the vehicle and took his laptop from the car.

Yes, you are OK when you said to obtain a Euro stalk and also a rear lower light combination unit. I am in the process to do this by contacting some continental European Mitsu dealers. I am 100% certain that Mitsubishi manufacture only two type of stalk multi-function switch for its Mitsubishi. Switch-1 that only powered the rear fog light in European cars because it is required by law. A switch-2 that activate the rear fog light and the front fog light. There is not a switch that only activates the front fog light. So when Mitsubishi America implements the option front fog light it has not other option that to use the switch-2 (i.e. front and rear fog light). Outlander owners do not know this, and many Canadian owners buy Hella/PIAA rear fog lamps.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 PM

tdford you are correct.

I checked yesterday and when the light switch was rotated, the side of the lower reflector lit. Nothing lights in direct on the end. Looking at the lense sure looks like a light can be placed inside because of the hollow looking inside.

Here in Utah, we been having snow every other day...

Old

Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 AM

batman,

Just want to make sure Im clear: The lower lamp is lit from the sides only, the part facing the rear is a reflector. Does not technically light up. Reflects light when the headlights from the person behind you shines on it.

Yes, theres enough space for a bulb, because they built one housing that is used for Rear-fog, and non Rear-fog models. Without taking apart the housing, I dont know for sure. But with the non Rear-fog models having a reflector, the insides might not have a place for a bulb to actually plug into. So the guts of the housing might be different for each.

The other thing I was going to comment on was with the headlight stalk...
Batman, you say your pretty sure their are only 2 different ones made. I believe there should be atleast 3, but someone is going to have to clarify for me...
1) US model, HID, has NO front or rear fog switch
2) US model, halogen, has front fog switch
someone will have to help here, but heres what I think:
3) non US model, HID, some countries has front fog switch, some dont, andhas rear fog switch
4) non US model, halogen, has front and rear fog switch

Its tough to say with several countries, with different laws. We've got LHD, RHD vehicles. US, CAN, EU, JPN, AU. Some have their front fogs called "fog lights", others have the same lights called "daytime running-lights".

A way to help figure this out is to have people from the various regions let us know their location and setup. I can start...

US, XLS, HID, no fog switch for front or rear.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM

EU, Instyle (Business), HID, fog switch for front and rear

Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 PM

tdford

As I said I am in the process of buying a 2008 Outlander XLS 3.0L. Reading carefully the specifications for this vehicle the front fog light is standard and the Xenon/HID is optional. Perhaps the 2007 XLS the front fog light and the Xenon lights were optional, no any more in 2008.

For example it appears that the 2007 models the standard wheels were 5-spoke wheels, but if you check the Mitsubishi America now the 2008 model XLS has 7-spoke wheels. Many users also said that the 2008 model has solved the problems of high wind noise, engine clicking and noise at idle, and so on.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:42 PM

For the info of Puddy and anyone else interested, the UK versions do not have a lampholder ,bulbor wiring fitted behind the rear fog lamp lens fitted to the left hand side ( as viewed from rear). I pulled mine apart last week when fitting reversing sensors to mine and noticed the 'gubbins' were not present.!.......I too was hoping to have two rear fog lamps lit !!
If anyone wants further info on rear sensors or other Uk differencesI will be happy to help if able to!
Happy 'Outings'
RON

Old 02-05-2008, 04:04 PM

UK Elegance spec has ( on left hand side of steering column) a rotary switch for front and rear fogs built into main lighting stalk ( this also has a position for 'Auto on' lights ). This feature can be programmed for different available light levels from the MMC. ( just to complicate matters !!!
Ron

Old 02-05-2008, 04:14 PM

The law in the UK requires only a rear fog light in the side of the driver. A photo of the rear left fog light litting could be a big help. Perhaps is a bit late now but a photo of the rear fog light with the red plastic out could be also a big plus to this puzzle.

However your description confirm that at least for the UK version there is rear fog light that lits by manipulating the stalk switch by the steering column (included the harness, socket, etc).

The solution for US model is to order directly from continental Europe (no the UK) the stalk combination switch and perhaps also the rear combination lower lamp. This will provide the socket needed in case that the rear lower light of the US model is just a plastic. Nevetheless I think if the rear lower light lits in the US model then most probably there is a socket for the fog light. Or better we can take the present bulb and replaces it by a brake bulb that will provide a real fog light. I don't know if this can invalidate the US regulations about reflectors lights.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:45 PM

BATMAN,

At last I think have been able to upload photos that may help you !!

1; shows rear view of my lefthand rear fog lamp.... all bulb locations are blanked off... no wiring at rear of lamp

2; shows rear of my righthand side fog lamp.. shows connector block with green cable (feed) and black cable ( earth) coming from harness... ((disregard pink scotchblock connector.. I think that is the feed to my caravan rear foglamps )) !!

3 & 4 ....self explanatory.

I think possibly the cheapest solution for you would be to bore a hole suitable for a bulbholder in your existing lamp and take a switched, fused, supply to it from up front somewhere. From whatI can see in the lamps, all bulb locations are sealed from the others so you would not getthe light from your fogs bleeding through to your side marker lamps.. assuming your lamps have been made the same as ours!.. Our lamps incorporate a reflector so if you did decide to order from Eu they should comply with your laws on that side of the pond.
Hope this helps, keep us informed on how you get on!
Ron

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/DB77E5D3A19346448B631A80D3DC43E6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/776F063354474595A9FA9A7E836E293F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/87DB946FBF2647ABB8C23948A70BA050.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/5F82761E7CDA477A96B60907B3AF2E72.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 AM

This is an excellent contribution in solving the US rear fog light puzzle. Please confirm if there is only one bulb that lit when activated the rear right fog lights (i.e. the lower rear right hand side-UK model). According to your photos the lower left rear light is just a proper plastic reflector lamp. I think this is what happens in the US model only in the reverse order/location. Equally it seems to me that in the US model the lower rear lamp has been programmed to lit permanently only when the side light switch of the vehicle are turning ‘ON’

Some members in this forum has pointed out that for US models the lower rear left hand lamp lit when activated from the stalk switch by the steering wheel column. They also mentioned that only one ‘reflector’ lights. What is not clear is if this lamp lights permanently when the side lights of the vehicle is activated. This is not good because if the bulb of this lamp is replaced by a brake bulb wattage to have a fog lights; the high intensity bulb will be ‘ON’ even in the situation of very good weather. This situation calls for a reprogramming of the multi-function stalk switch in the US models.

One solution to this puzzle I think could be:

(1)- To find a Mitsubishi dealer willing to reprogram the actual stalk switch by telling the OBC that the ‘reflector’ lamp shouldn’t light when the side light of the vehicle are ‘ON’ and should only operate (light/lit) when a deliberated turning is done in the stalk switch or,

(2)- To order a brand new multi-function stalk switch ($140) and a left lower rear light combination lamp ($100) from continental Europe and find a willing Mitsubishi technician to make the reprogramming.

Quick Reply: Rear fog lights/lamp