Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Receiver question for tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Default Receiver question for tow hitch

Regarding the "rise" style receiver such as rdenis's Reese 4" rise, what makes it any different from a 4" drop receiver turned upside down?

I looked at the photos of his "rise" receiver and it looks identical to the"drop" receiver i have from my previous truck if i turn it upside down. I looked at the sticker on the receiver and it doesn't say anything about being a rise or drop, it just says "drop".When i get my "Curt" hitch i want to make sure to use the right type of receiver.

Am i correct in assuming that any "drop" receiver can be used as a "rise" receiver?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 AM
tcp
Default RE: Receiver question for tow hitch

yes, use it.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 AM

tcp,
Ok thanx. I figured it was, but since the sticker didn't list it as a drop/rise i wanted to make sure.

Anyone withthe Curt Hitch installed are you using the 4" rise receiver or a different rise height?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 AM

When I got mine this summer that's what the trailer shop did they just turn it upside down and they told me that It was solid enough no problem there from what they said here's a picture of mine !

Name:  DSCF0001-1.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  93.8 KB
Name:  DSCF0006.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  58.8 KB

Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 AM

I'm guessing yours isalso a 4" rise?

Yours receiver/ball looks like it sits out a lot further than rdenis's did. His was only 1/2 inch from the tailgate when it was down.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Cuffy

I'm guessing yours isalso a 4" rise?

Yours receiver/ball looks like it sits out a lot further than rdenis's did. His was only 1/2 inch from the tailgate when it was down.
Yes it's 4' rise and it's a little longer then rdenis because I want it to make sure it clear the tailgate with no problem when the trailer was one and that's what my local shop recommended when they try it out with one of there trailer.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:27 PM

Good deal, thanx. Now i need to get the hitch and wait for warmer weather to install...or vice versa.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:41 PM

Ok, i'm sorry but i've got a new twist on my original question. I was looking at Etrailer.com getting ready to buymy hitch and went to look at their selection of 4" Rise receivers. Well now i'm more confused. If you look at all the different rise/drop references they are all over the board giving different combinations of rise/drop with each.

I'm lost in how you can have a 4" drop with different size rises. To me if the drop is listed as one size when you turn it over the rise should stay a standard height too. Right? Maybe i'mjust thick and not looking at this properly.

Are you guys usinga 4" drop and turning it upside down or are you using a specifically named 4" Rise receiver? If you look at the 4" Rise receivers shown on Etrailer.com they look super high and nothing like the one rdenis and roach have.[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 02-14-2008, 02:49 PM

I've never shopped for one myself, but they might measure it from the top of the mount (the sqaure part). If the square part is 2 " think then if the flat part if flush to the bottom of the square, it's a 2" drop, if you flip it, the rise is only equal to the thickness of the flat part, i.e 3/4".

Old 02-15-2008, 09:57 PM

Ok, i got you there...but what are people actually using?

A 4" rise or 4" drop turned upside down?

Quick Reply: Receiver question for tow hitch