Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2005 outlander LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Default 2005 outlander LS

Hey guys I need abit of help.
I really need some answers asap I love this car couldnt be happier with my purchase, unfortunately I cant take it off the road as I have no other way to get to work.
I have recently purchased an 2005 Outlander LS awd with a manual transmission.
My first question is does the car have a completly sealed transmission as I can not seem to find the transmission dip stick.
My second question what could be causing a grinding sound when I let the clutch out even when the car is in neutral.
Eveything else in the car seems to be running fine even everything else to do with the trans, it shifts in and out of each gear smoothly and doesnt slip at all. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks guys

Last edited by ALX001; 07-13-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:29 PM

Hi ALX001, forgive my assumption, but across the pond in the UK, most cars are manual transmissions. There's no dipstick and yes they are sealed. There will be two plugs on the gearbox, one is a drain (lower) and the other a fill hole (higher up on the side of the gearbox). Basically the gearbox oil is changed at specific intervals depending on the model. Drain oil out of the lower hole, replace and fill through the upper hole until the oil is level with or just drips out of the higher hole - et voila.

The noise is I suspect the clutch release bearing. On my C-Crosser (RHD Outlander with French nose and badges) it is a concentric sealed bearing that when you press the clutch pushes the clutch plate away from the flywheel. They can make quite a bit of noise and I've never heard of one failing such that the clutch doesn't work - but more experienced peeps can correct me, but they are (or should be) changed when the clutch is replaced - this could be 30,000 miles to 100,000 miles depending on driving style and journey types. Difficult to interpret 'grinding sound' but suspect it sounds rotational. If it goes when the clutch is pressed in (ie bearing being 'squeezed'), then it sounds like clutch release bearing. They can make noise for the life of the clutch and I usually just turn the stereo up

HTH