Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Reset "Periodice Maintenance" warning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Default Reset "Periodice Maintenance" warning?

OK, I need to vent.

I took my Outlander in to the dealer for its first oil change. The dealer used 10/30W oil instead of 5/20W, which they said was "the way they do it on all cars" and "complicated to explain."

I checked the oil level when I got home, just to make sure there was oil in there and thedip stick and oil cap were still there. Sure enough, they overfilled it by about a quart.

The next morning I had an oil slick in my garage. They didn't tighten the oil pan bolt enough, and oil dripped out all night long. I was able to tighten it almost two more revolutions. Unfortunately it is still overfilled, even after losing some oil.

And, to top things off, the dealership forgot to reset the "Periodic Maintenance" reminder that comes up on the Mitsubishi Information Display (MID) inside the speedometer cluster. Great!

Help! Does anyone know the sequence to reset the reminder?

(I already know how to set my personal settings for maintenance on the MMCS Nav unit... those settings don't affect the MID settings)

Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Default RE: Reset "Periodice Maintenance" warning?

That's horse ****. Take that back and chew some ***. Tell them you want the correct oil in the car, and that the drain plug nearly fell out. Tell them it stained your garage floor. OMG this stuff makes ME look bad being a professional techncian. WOW, what a great first experience. Man, I feel for you. Just go kick some *** man!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:47 AM

My dealer used the recommended 5w20, and although the "periodic maintenance" reminder didn't go off until a few weeks after the first oil change, they did reset it on the 2nd oil change.

And one thing I noticed, they might have overfilled the vehicle a little too. Does overfilling have bad effects to the vehicle?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 AM

https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_133285/tm.htm

Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 AM

I always change my own oil, but when I bought the car I received this dealer qoupon for a free service. When I took it in they also over filled mine and used 10w30, I even posted here about it because I dint know if that viscosity would be bad, they also said thats what they use on all other cars, but what the heck this is a new vehicle with new standars and the manufacturer specs should be followed! I ended up draining all their oil and switched to mobil1 5w20, just for a good peace of mind.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:37 PM

If you over fill the oil you can blow your motor. I dont know how much you need but I have been told that if you over fill it watch out lol. The reason theres a dip stick to measure the amount of oil in your engine.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 AM

Overfilling by a few gallons will damage the engine. Overfilling by a quart can damage the catalytic converter, because it can cause oil to be sucked into the intake, foul the spark plugs and cause a misfire.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the link antlip, I forgot that rdennis posted that info. Worked perfectly.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:26 PM

No problem I just searched for it last week because I had the 5 or 6 month time run out. It was dinging and beeping and becoming really annoying. It lasted 2 days before I reset it.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:53 PM

By "Too complicated to explain", they mean they don't want to tell you that10w30 is the cheapest oil to make and buy (in bulk)..which is why they bought it..that tells me that they're more worried about a few pennies than providing quality service..I'd avoid them in the future..heck even Walmart will use the correct oil

I'd call Mitsubishi and 'ask' if using 10w30 would void your warranty if it was done by the dealer..then casually drop a name >:^)