Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Rockford Fosgate System & Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Hey draeger, sorry for the late reply. As FAUEE mentioned, the factory sub looks similar to the Punch Z line from a number of years back.....but the subs are completely different. I pretty partial to RF products so I'm going to suggest using a P3 Shallow subwoofer and purchase the mathing grill or one of the new Prime Series Shallow subwoofers and finding another aftermarket grill that might work. I don't really know the exact depth of what woofer would fit best, but I do know that same factory sub is in the Eclipse and those enclosures can't accept a woofer deeper than 3.5". The next challenge is making sure you have the correct impedance subwoofer to match up to the aftermarket amp you plan on using.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM

I honestly would not spend the money on trying to install a Mitsubishi RF system when there are so many great non-oem products out there. I have 2 mitsubishis - one with the RF system and one with a system I built myself. They are completely different - the RF one is nowhere near as good quality and probably cost twice as much. The only possible advantage I can see is that you maintain the original appearance of the vehicle, but a well installed custom system can also look excellent or invisible.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 PM

The beauty of using the OEM Rockford enclosure is that it keeps the sub out of the way in the cargo area.

Building the RF upgraded system like installed from the factory piece by piece will cost a small fortune. Doing an aftermarket system would cost less if you're gradually putting it all together.

The thing I do appreciate about the RF OEM upgrade is all the time alignment and EQ tweaking that's already been done. A lot of time was put into the tuning of the audio system.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM

The sub we have is 4.5" deep I think. The R2 will fit without issues in depth., but none of the Punch line will.

I'm pretty sure the OEM sub is a dual .7 Ohm coil version of the PunchZ. All its specs match up.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:09 PM

I just want the RF woofer enclosure because it fits nicely at the back. I didn't realize that the speaker that came with it only works with the OEM RF amplifier which I don't have.

My plan is to get the Caska head unit then change all the speakers with aftermarket ones, use the RF subwoofer enclosure with an aftermarket subwoofer with an aftermarket amplifier.

Will this work?

Old 10-05-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by 11SE2HEAR
The thing I do appreciate about the RF OEM upgrade is all the time alignment and EQ tweaking that's already been done. A lot of time was put into the tuning of the audio system.
My personal feeling is that the RF oem system doesn't sound good compared to aftermarket systems. That is my point - you are paying extra for a product that is not particularly great. It isn't bad, just very average. I have the RF system as it was in the car when I bought it. It is my wife's car, so I am not going to bother changing it as she is happy with it.

Originally Posted by draeger
I just want the RF woofer enclosure because it fits nicely at the back. I didn't realize that the speaker that came with it only works with the OEM RF amplifier which I don't have.

My plan is to get the Caska head unit then change all the speakers with aftermarket ones, use the RF subwoofer enclosure with an aftermarket subwoofer with an aftermarket amplifier.

Will this work?
The perfect solution is to get aftermarket parts and install them. I am not familiar with the caska unit, so couldn't comment - I assume it has RCA outputs for your amp. If you can get an aftermarket sub in the enclosure, that is perfect. Alternatively, you could make your own sub enclosure which would give a wider choice. Any amp could be fit in the vehicle somewhere and there are loads of aftermarket speakers that would fit. There are adapters available to fit standard head units in like this. I just think that you would get a far better sounding system for less money and with a bit of effort it would look just as neat.

Ben

Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 AM

The stock RF system sounds better than most aftermarket systems. You'd have to spend nearly as much money as it costs to get a setup that sounds better (not just louder). And even then, it wouldn't be as integrated as the OEM system.

I'm going to try to work with the OEM system as much as possible for this reason, but enhance it. I've got ~1100RMS worth of RF Punch amps waiting for me to get speakers for it, and time to install it all.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:45 PM

If I had my way, I would also install the complete RF system that I had in my previous vehicle. But my new Outlander is far more functional than my Maxima ever was as it sits right now. If anything, I'd like to find a way to keep all the DSP settings on the RF OEM upgraded system and add amplification and more speakers to it. But adding the two Power Series amps that I have, the two sets of components, set of coax's and T1 12" woofer in the high-output ported enclosure is a bit much to do again. My previous vehicle had lots of elecrtrical upgrades that I just don't want to do on this vehicle......yet.

But back to draeger's question......yes, you can use that unloaded enclosure that you have with another aftermarket driver. I would suggest one of the two shallow woofers I mentioned earlier. The internal air space comes out to .67 cu ft. You may have to made an MDF ring to mount to the enclosure, then screw the woofer into the MDF ring as the mounting holes may not line up. Also on the back of the RF enclosure there's a hole where a bolt goes directly into the back of the OEM woofer. So you are going to want to seal that hole with RTV or something so it doesn't leak air.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Don't know if anyone is interested, but I found an RF OEM woofer & enclosure in the Tampa area for sale on Craigslist. No, the listing is not mine or anyone that I know.....just ran across it by accident.

Rockford Fostgate 600watt subwoofer