Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Saggy Rear 07 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Puwit321,

Did you have to remove the springs to install the bags? I bought the bags, but as I look at them and the size of the spring, I don't see how they are going to go in "through" the spring. I am thinking I will need to take out the springs and install them up through the bottom of the spring. However, if you got it to go, then maybe I will just need to use more "elbow grease". I took all of the air out of the bag, but it still looks like an impossible fit.

Originally Posted by puwit321
Thanks to the suggestions here, I installed a set of air bags to solve my saggy butt problem. I ordered a set of Firestone Coil Rite 4106. They didn't have an application for the Outlander but that was the set they recommended based on dimensions of the spring. And it fits. Took about an hour to install and now I can tow a boat without scraping my driveway. Since I had my wheels off...might as well paint the calipers!

[IMG]local://upfiles/13579/E7F9495E0DFA4BDC851CB57110B5CD9B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 PM

I own an 08 ES with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. I've never done any towing, but 3 separate times I've hauled 450 pounds of vegetables for a local charity in the back with the 2nd row seats folded down and there was no noticeable sag to the rear end and I did not have any problems bottoming out.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 PM
tcp
Default the bags

I put a set on my Sienna a couple of years ago. Just completely deflate the bags, take the wheel off, and lift the vehicle by the jack point on the frame so the spring extends fully. Then squish the back and push it through the coil. Takes a bit of work, but you'll be amazed at how deformed that bag can get to fit through. After just push it into place and reinflate. They'll work fine. It took a lot longer running the hoses to a convenient point than putting the bags in. I run mine at 10psi without any load and up to 25 psi with the sienna loaded and towing my 3500lb trailer. Works like a charm.

Originally Posted by tchpet2
Puwit321,

Did you have to remove the springs to install the bags? I bought the bags, but as I look at them and the size of the spring, I don't see how they are going to go in "through" the spring. I am thinking I will need to take out the springs and install them up through the bottom of the spring. However, if you got it to go, then maybe I will just need to use more "elbow grease". I took all of the air out of the bag, but it still looks like an impossible fit.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:06 PM

tchpet2, I didn't have to remove the springs to install the bags. If I remember, I used some grease or oil (i think dish soap) to get it in between the gap in the coil spring. Have the rear completely on jack stands so the springs can extend fully then slide it thru the largest gap. It may look impossible as I almost gave up. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM

Well, they are on.............finally! I took it to a shop. The guy who did the work said it was a very tight fit, but he got them in. Thanks for the help!

I am a bit worried that one of the bags is leaking though. It is at point where the hose goes into the bag. It was leaking enough that I could hear it, but after I pulled the hose out and then reinstalled it, there wasn't any sound. I put 20lbs in them and will check them tomorrow. I sure hope the one isn't leaking as it will be impossible to get it out without cutting and I am sure they won't warranty if the bag is cut up...ugh!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:41 PM

I usually put 30lbs of air into them when I tow my boat so it doesnt scrap my drive way. I also have a slow leak but not such that I can hear it leaking. Take a look at the hose and make sure the cut is clean and level. Sometimes the cut is on a slant which could leak air.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Puwit321, just got a question. Did it require any drilling or making of holes at the top of the spring holders to get the hose out at the top, or is there nothing blocking the hose from sticking out? And how is it holding up so far??

Old 08-14-2009, 05:52 PM

Hey Guys,

Actually I made an effort to physically measure the Outlander from the ground to the top edge of the fenders (front/rear) and it looks like Outlander is indeed a bit saggy (for whatever reason). Front distance from ground to fender is about 31 inches and rear distance from ground to fender is 30 inches :S

EDIT: If it makes any difference I have a 2009 Outlander ES 4WD with Convinience Package. Also, I have measured the same thing on my 2004 Lancer ES and again, the front distance is higher than the rear (25in vs 24.5in). But I believe this has something to do with braking and laws of physics, since during a high speed brake, most of the weight (force) goes to the front, therefor front needs to be a bit higher than the rear...

Attached Thumbnails  Saggy Rear 07 Outlander-outlanderside1.jpg  

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 08-14-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:09 PM

Can someone measure the distances between the bottom of the front fender to the ground and the bottom of the rear fender to the ground as show in in the attached picture in my previous post above?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 AM

Front appr. 30, rear 29 with 18inch Bridgestone Dueller Sport tyres.

Quick Reply: Saggy Rear 07 Outlander