Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Second Gen Outlander Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 01:45 AM
Default Second Gen Outlander Worth it?

I'm considering an Outlander purchase and wondering if you think that it's worth buying a 2nd gen around the years 2007 - 2009? Or should I spring for a more recent generation? I have also considered the years 2014 -2015. They are lighter, sleeker, and one can't deny the sturdier design of the third row and a more fuel efficient V6.

Based on my comparisons with other compact to mid sized crossover suvs the Outlander definitely fits my needs more than the competition. I also appreciate the fact that I don't see them at every stop light.

Any and all feedback welcomed. I appreciate everything in advance. Thanks again.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Default I know this sounds goofy, but....

the rear tailgate on the gen 2 is why I bought mine, more a less the car checks off all the boxes, but I really like to drop the bumper and get out the lawn chairs and do some tail gate picnicing. The giant speaker can bring the music if necessary too.

Also, it could be my imagination, but the 2nd Gen rides higher or seems to. I can drive up over medians, through gullies between sides of the freeway and never worry about bottoming out on steep parking lot entrances.

The 3rd gen are sleeker but they sort of lose the angular, shooting forward look that I so admire, and people get out of your way as it just appears to be zooming towards them, again, probably just my imagination.

Either way you will be happy, these people make a very reliable machine

Old 05-15-2018, 08:12 AM
Default Thank You

Thank you for the response I appreciate it so much.

I have been really into the 07-09 body styles more lately so I can definitely go with them and not wonder if I should get a newer gen. Also, I believe ground cleaeance is similar amongst the generarions so no worries there either. It's always good to get another opinion. Can't go wrong there at all.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:28 AM

I have had no problems whatsoever with my 2007 V6. It's at 142k miles. I've replaced the timing belt and spark plugs, and transmission fluid twice. Other than that, just more routine maintenance. It's not the best build quality. They definitely cut corners on the materials. There's actually white styrofoam under my "carpet." And when I say carpet, I basically mean some cardboard type material with fibers glued to it. Other than that, I've been afforded 110k trouble-free miles since I've owned it. I like the flap-fold tailgate too, but I think you can find that feature up to 2012 or so?

Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by copyboy311
I have had no problems whatsoever with my 2007 V6. It's at 142k miles. I've replaced the timing belt and spark plugs, and transmission fluid twice. Other than that, just more routine maintenance. It's not the best build quality. They definitely cut corners on the materials. There's actually white styrofoam under my "carpet." And when I say carpet, I basically mean some cardboard type material with fibers glued to it. Other than that, I've been afforded 110k trouble-free miles since I've owned it. I like the flap-fold tailgate too, but I think you can find that feature up to 2012 or so?
Thank you *copyboy311* sounds like a solid vehicle to me! I believe the *clam-shell* tailgate can be found up to 2013.