Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Serious lag and surge on 2007 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Default Serious lag and surge on 2007 Outlander

Has anyone out there experienced a "lag" when pushing down on the accelerator from a dead stop followed by a sudden "surge" forward? This has occurred on my wife's Outlander since new (currently 51, 000 miles) and I have spoken to the dealer NUMEROUS times. They say it is just the way it was designed as they didn't change the final gearing from the 4 cyl. to the 6 cyl. This sounds like a crock to me, and we're fed up with it - almost got into a serious accident! Time to draw a line in the sand, especially since the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up in 9,000 miles.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback, and if you have/had the problem, what did you do about it? I live in Gilbert AZ, so any comments on local Mitsubishi dealers would be greatly appreciated from local folks.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 AM
tcp
Default TSB, driving style and drive by wire

search first. Read these:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=34095

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=22757

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23026

If the TSB hasn't been performed, have it done. It can be mitigated by your driving style to some degree as well.

Originally Posted by rickfrick
Has anyone out there experienced a "lag" when pushing down on the accelerator from a dead stop followed by a sudden "surge" forward? This has occurred on my wife's Outlander since new (currently 51, 000 miles) and I have spoken to the dealer NUMEROUS times. They say it is just the way it was designed as they didn't change the final gearing from the 4 cyl. to the 6 cyl. This sounds like a crock to me, and we're fed up with it - almost got into a serious accident! Time to draw a line in the sand, especially since the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up in 9,000 miles.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback, and if you have/had the problem, what did you do about it? I live in Gilbert AZ, so any comments on local Mitsubishi dealers would be greatly appreciated from local folks.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Old 09-17-2010, 11:06 AM

I'm very happy with the service dept at Big Two Mitsubishi in Mesa, and never have had this problem with my 08 ES. If it's a transmission issue it is covered for 10 years/100,000 miles under the powertrain warranty. If the TSB suggested doesn't fix the problem, I suggest you request a meeting with a factory rep and the dealer to sort it out.

Last edited by azjake; 09-17-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:34 PM

Sounds like they are giving you the runaround. The I4 uses a CVT while the V6 uses a 6 speed automatic...both of which have significantly different gear ratios (well the CVT doesn't have gears, but belt ratios).

The car does have a throttle lag/delay though, as I've noticed it from the start on my 08. However, the 07 had a way worse one for which a TSB was issued for.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Default TSB, driving style and drive by wire

Thanks for the follow up: I understand what you mean about driving style, but this a VERY serious safety issue.

Originally Posted by tcp
search first. Read these:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=34095

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=22757

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23026

If the TSB hasn't been performed, have it done. It can be mitigated by your driving style to some degree as well.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Default Service dept at Big Two Mitsubishi in Mesa

Thanks for responding: We bought the '07 Outlander from the store in your post, and have been generally satisfied with the service and service pricing; however, this lag problem has been a sticking point since the car was new. The service guy Jon told me first it was an ECM problem, and then it was a problem with Mitsu not changing the gearing from the 4 cyl. to the 6 cyl. (which we have), and when I talked with him again yesteday; now all of a sudden it's a transmission problem!! Floating problems what?? At least the tranny problem fits the TSB. One thing that bums me out is why they didn't come clean on the TSB - surely they know about it?? I didn't know about it before, but now I do. I will find out what their problem is later today, and if they fail to take action, I will most definitely take your advice to "request a meeting with a factory rep and the dealer to sort it out", if they don;t solve the problem.

Originally Posted by azjake
I'm very happy with the service dept at Big Two Mitsubishi in Mesa, and never have had this problem with my 08 ES. If it's a transmission issue it is covered for 10 years/100,000 miles under the powertrain warranty. If the TSB suggested doesn't fix the problem, I suggest you request a meeting with a factory rep and the dealer to sort it out.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Default Update: Serious lag and surge on 2007 Outlander

Took the Outlander to Big Two Mitsubishi in Mesa, AZ and they performed TSB's 07-13-007 & 07-23-006: Engine control module reprogramming for throttle hestation. After 2 days of driving, there is NO improvement in the problem, and as a matter of fact, it feels a little worse. Next steps are to 1) write a letter to Mitsubishi, and 2) file a complaint with the NTSB. Parked the car for now with 54,104 miles and refuse to sell it or let it go out of bumper-to-bumper warranty at 60,000 miles. Yes, I know there is a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on the drive train, but I trust nobody, especially a car dealer!! Mitsu is going to either fix it or buy it back under the lemon laws, or we'll see if the NTSB will recall it. Let ya'll know.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:07 PM

Good Luck and keep us informed of Mitsubishi's response to your letter.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM

Rick, how far away is the next dealership?

We bought ours from a dealership that was supposed to be some special dealership that has some great award from MMNA. Didn't really get to far with their service shop. Next closest shop has been very accommodating. Might be worth a shot.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 AM

Which car did you have before the Outlander? If its your first car with an electronic throttle controller, then you will find most cars with it have some form of a delay. Only higher end cars have the shortest delay.

Quick Reply: Serious lag and surge on 2007 Outlander