Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Serious lag and surge on 2007 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:18 PM

Thanks, will do.

Originally Posted by azjake
Good Luck and keep us informed of Mitsubishi's response to your letter.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Default Update: Serious lag and surge on 2007 Outlander

Thanks for the advise, but I did take the car to another dealer who gave me some mumbo-jumbo about the problem being carbon build-up in the intake manifold - not exhaut manifold, but intake! The service guy said the fix was part of normal maintenance and not covered under the warranty - my regular and nearest dealer would not pay for the carbon problem (if there is one??? either). Besides, we use nothing but Chevron or Shell gas, so this problem is last on the list and not likely.

Originally Posted by ccernst
Rick, how far away is the next dealership?

We bought ours from a dealership that was supposed to be some special dealership that has some great award from MMNA. Didn't really get to far with their service shop. Next closest shop has been very accommodating. Might be worth a shot.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. With respect, it is irrelevant what cars we own now or have previously owned. The problem is in THIS CAR and should not be there, and we want it fixed. It is a safety hazard and should have been recalled by the NTSB - we have filed a complaint and sent a letter to Mitsu, so we'll see what happens. If the problem is fixed, we will then make a decision as to what we're going to do next (we hold out no hope that it will be fixed because they're badgering us to trade up and out or just go away). I wouldn't trade up to or buy another Mitsubishi product if my life depended on it - and it just may! If it is not fixed, Mitsu is going to buy it back and pay for our rental car.

Originally Posted by ivanz
Which car did you have before the Outlander? If its your first car with an electronic throttle controller, then you will find most cars with it have some form of a delay. Only higher end cars have the shortest delay.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by rickfrick
Thanks for the reply. With respect, it is irrelevant what cars we own now or have previously owned. The problem is in THIS CAR and should not be there, and we want it fixed. It is a safety hazard and should have been recalled by the NTSB - we have filed a complaint and sent a letter to Mitsu, so we'll see what happens. If the problem is fixed, we will then make a decision as to what we're going to do next (we hold out no hope that it will be fixed because they're badgering us to trade up and out or just go away). I wouldn't trade up to or buy another Mitsubishi product if my life depended on it - and it just may! If it is not fixed, Mitsu is going to buy it back and pay for our rental car.
Well if it is truly an issue with your particular car, then I can understand. However, I believe what you are experiencing is a combination of:
1. High low end torque in the V6 engine causes the surge feeling (i.e like a diesel engine from a stop)
2. Electronic throttle controller delay

I've got some bad news for you if it is the latter, as *any* brand new car you buy will have this delay. You can avoid the surge feeling by buying a car with a 4 cyl engine or a V6 with a more flat torque curve.
There is no way you can avoid the delay unless you buy an older car. In fact, I have driven a newer 60k+ car that had a gas pedal like an on/off switch with a delay. The only way to reduce it was to buy an aftermarket throttle controller in order to compensate for the delay. You could get one for the Outlander as well. You just unplug your gas pedal and plug it into a separate box.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the info. My point is really simple - this car has an inherent design fault, which is a definite safety issue When we decide to buy another vehicle, it will be after this one is either fixed or Mitsu buys it back under the lemon law. I am going to be a thorn in Mitsu's side until it is resolved. I should not have to buy an aftermarket "fix" for this car, and I cannot in good conscience sell it with this problem.
Cheerio

Originally Posted by ivanz
Well if it is truly an issue with your particular car, then I can understand. However, I believe what you are experiencing is a combination of:
1. High low end torque in the V6 engine causes the surge feeling (i.e like a diesel engine from a stop)
2. Electronic throttle controller delay

I've got some bad news for you if it is the latter, as *any* brand new car you buy will have this delay. You can avoid the surge feeling by buying a car with a 4 cyl engine or a V6 with a more flat torque curve.
There is no way you can avoid the delay unless you buy an older car. In fact, I have driven a newer 60k+ car that had a gas pedal like an on/off switch with a delay. The only way to reduce it was to buy an aftermarket throttle controller in order to compensate for the delay. You could get one for the Outlander as well. You just unplug your gas pedal and plug it into a separate box.