Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Service Blunder on wifes 14 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Default Service Blunder on wifes 14 Outlander

So my 16 outlander and the wifes 14 Outlander both recently had their 30K trans service done. Since the service, my wifes 14 has been making this "odd" growling sound at low speeds, cornering, or flooring the throttle. I noticed it one day after I had to drive it and thought it was weird compared to my 16's sound.
I did notice that the fronts had hit the point where they were wearing faster than the rears. (they had been rotated before) so, while I still had my summer wheels N tires on the 16, I let her use my stock wheel set while I had some Kenda Klever AT tires put on her stock rims. They are 1 size taller and 1 size wider. 235/60/18's. Love these tires for the Outlander, they fit just perfect in the wheel well and so far are NOT rubbing light off roading.
Anyway, I still heard the same growling sound that sounded like the CVT was attempting to wind up some rubber bands. I still heard it after the new tires were put back on her vehicle. So the other day I get to the dealer (made an appointment previously) They check it out and have it fixed in an hour. Mechanic tells me that when they serviced the trans the last time, they never latched the clips back on the air box. So when the car would accelerate or the engine "twist" in the mounts under power, the plastic sections of the air box would vibrate off each other. They also said that the trans fluid was just at the lowest mark so they filled it to the max level AND even put the push clips into the snorkel of the air intake that never got put back in.
Seriously????? I'm told that service tech no longer works there and they assured me that there were no contaminates that were getting past the filter. From what I could see when I opened the hood to check on it myself, they showed me how it was sitting without the clips snapped in place. Now were back to sounding like it did before with no worries that something's wrong with the CVT.
Super unlike me not to check on it myself, but working 7 days a week 10hr days takes it's toll. Lesson learned = even after they service the vehicle, check it out and pay attention to the noises.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:52 AM
Default Contact Mitsubishi Corp

I would contact Mitsubishi Corp to put in a dealer complaint fight for full or partial refund for shoddy work.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
I would contact Mitsubishi Corp to put in a dealer complaint fight for full or partial refund for shoddy work.
Not a bad idea dude. Not a bad idea at all,,,,,, I think I will.