Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Should I continue spending money to fix my 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS V6 Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 12:20 AM
Default Best Timing belt kit

What is the best premium quality/warranty timing belt kit for a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS V6?

Old 03-26-2019, 07:57 PM

Are there any quality Lifetime Warranty full Exhaust systems for the 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS V6? My stock OEM one is rusting out and I want to replace it with a better quality one that will last longer or have a lifetime warranty. Has anyone gone aftermarket exhaust systems on their Outlander? If so which one did you get and do you have pictures?

Old 04-01-2019, 01:32 AM

When you have used a 2008 vehicle(Paid Off) with 124,000 miles valued at $7,000 to $8,000 Market Value, how much money yearly in repair/maintenance costs is acceptable? Considering there are no monthly payments and the vehicle is owned how much money every year is an acceptable or reasonable amount to spend on all repairs/maintenance? Where should one draw the line and start looking for a newer vehicle?

Old 04-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
When you have used a 2008 vehicle(Paid Off) with 124,000 miles valued at $7,000 to $8,000 Market Value, how much money yearly in repair/maintenance costs is acceptable? Considering there are no monthly payments and the vehicle is owned how much money every year is an acceptable or reasonable amount to spend on all repairs/maintenance? Where should one draw the line and start looking for a newer vehicle?
I did a quick Blue Book value estimation for your vehicle for Trenton,NJ and based on your posts the best condition you can claim for your vehicle is either "very good" or "good". At this age even fancy equipment do not add any value to the car. This would give you the highest market value of ~$6,000. The question is whether you would find a buyer, who is willing to pay that much (the range for market value according to KBB is ~$4,000-$6,000). You can get for sure $4,000 for your vehicle, anything above is the question of luck, endurance in putting it on sale constantly provided (and this is your biggest enemy) the vehicle does not suffer a catastrophic fail (engine, transmission, etc.) As you indicated earlier all the repair costs will come out of your pocket so you can easily get a repair cost that is not worth to fix thus, you can end up getting only scrap value for your car. You seem to have lately quite a few problems. If I were you I would put the car on sale right now. I repeat my earlier recommendation, it would be a totally different scenario if you could fix most of the things in your car. Even though you still have the "sword of Democlace" hanging over you as a major component can fail any time rendering your car practically worthless. You will not gain anything without taking risks, but the risks must be reasonable.

Last edited by AWCAWD; 04-02-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
I did a quick Blue Book value estimation for your vehicle for Trenton,NJ and based on your posts the best condition you can claim for your vehicle is either "very good" or "good". At this age even fancy equipment do not add any value to the car. This would give you the highest market value of ~$6,000. The question is whether you would find a buyer, who is willing to pay that much (the range for market value according to KBB is ~$4,000-$6,000). You can get for sure $4,000 for your vehicle, anything above is the question of luck, endurance in putting it on sale constantly provided (and this is your biggest enemy) the vehicle does not suffer a catastrophic fail (engine, transmission, etc.) As you indicated earlier all the repair costs will come out of your pocket so you can easily get a repair cost that is not worth to fix thus, you can end up getting only scrap value for your car. You seem to have lately quite a few problems. If I were you I would put the car on sale right now. I repeat my earlier recommendation, it would be a totally different scenario if you could fix most of the things in your car. Even though you still have the "sword of Democlace" hanging over you as a major component can fail any time rendering your car practically worthless. You will not gain anything without taking risks, but the risks must be reasonable.
I see where you are coming from, the only thing is there is nothing on the market currently that I am interested in buying. I was thinking of fixing her up and riding it out till the bigger 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander is released. Do you think that would be a dumb idea? I really do enjoy driving my Outlander and I could fix the problems using Rockauto and finding a value mechanic.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
I see where you are coming from, the only thing is there is nothing on the market currently that I am interested in buying. I was thinking of fixing her up and riding it out till the bigger 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander is released. Do you think that would be a dumb idea? I really do enjoy driving my Outlander and I could fix the problems using Rockauto and finding a value mechanic.
I guess you already made up your mind.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Default Update

Wanted to update, took it into Pepboys to get oil changed they lifted the car and I inspected full Exhaust System could not find any holes just normal wear. Had the mechanic check for rattling noises when starting the car could not find anything(Might have just been random items in my car vibrating making the noise). I watched the Scotty Kilmer channel for sticking windows and sprayed AMSOIL Silicone Spray on all my window tracks and that really helped the up and down functionality. So the only thing left is to do the timing belt kit change and have the side rear view mirror switch fixed. I found a decent mechanic that offers honest prices with two year/ 24,000 mile warranty on his work. Knock on wood things are feeling pretty good now! Thank you for all the help/advice. Keeping up with all maintenance and all AMSOIL Synthetic Oil/Fluids/Filters looking forward to 300,000 miles

Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 AM

At 123,000 miles, you're on borrowed time with the timing belt. Get it done if you want to keep driving the car. I had mine done along with the difficult-to-replace spark plugs at the dealer for about $600, if I recall. It was a few years ago. I felt that the dealer mechanics know these cars best for that kind of service and preferred to pay the extra $100 or so to make sure it was done right. And I'm at 153k miles now, and it's running and shifting great. A few squeaks and rattles, but I'm pretty happy with how it's held up over the years and miles with routine maintenance.