Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.
View Poll Results: A poll
Keep the cash!
75.00%
Give the cash to the dealer!
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Should I keep the rebate money or write a check to the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Default RE: Should I keep the rebate money or write a check to the dealer?

If the dealer expected to get $500 from Mitsubishi they should have filed thepaperwork correctly to ensure it came to them. So either the dealer messed up or Mitsubishi messed up and wrote the check to the wrong person. No matter who did,it's still not Jazar's fault.

Now if i found $500 cash in a wallet on the street, sure i'd contact the owner and make sure they got it back. This is different thought, the check was made out to Jazar. There was nothing in the envelope stating to paythe dealer, and i'm guessing the contract he signed didn't stipulate that he needed to pay any rebate money funded to him to the dealer. Therefore i don't see any issue with him cashing the check.

I disagree with TCP's statement about "if you didn't sign the rebates direct to the dealer, unfortunatelyyou are responsible..." On the contrary i would think that makes him not responsible otherwisethe dealershould have made it clear that the buyer had to pay back any rebates.

All that being said, if it were my dealership Iwould find a way to pay themback the money since they really worked hard on my behalf to get me the deal i got.I would however, hope that the dealership would step up andextended some additional courtesy to Jazar in the future.