Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Sideview Mirrors. Not Working Correctly

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:04 AM
Default Sideview Mirrors. Not Working Correctly

I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS V6 Automatic, the power Sideview Mirrors both the right and left are not working correctly. When I go to adjust them they only move a little in certain directions but they do not have full multirange-direction movement like they used to. What can I do to fix them?

Old 11-30-2018, 04:50 AM

Is my only option to replace both of them? Where can I get heated replacement mirrors for both sides? Is it possible to add power sliding mirrors?

Old 12-04-2018, 11:30 PM

Anyone ever have this same issue?

Old 12-07-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
Is my only option to replace both of them? Where can I get heated replacement mirrors for both sides? Is it possible to add power sliding mirrors?
It is highly unlikely that the adjustment on both mirrors would fail at the same time. I would not recommend the mirrors to be replaced just yet. Since both mirrors are adjusted with the same four-way switch I would start the investigation with this item first. Take the driver side door panel off and explore the connections in both the mirrors and in the switch itself. Please see the attached pdf taken from the service manual for the step-by-step (or rather pin-by-pin) continuity check. Also, in your original post you may have not been specific enough: Has the range adjustment been hindered both in the up/down and left/right direction in both mirrors? If only the left/right directional adjustment is hindered check whether the mirrors are unfolded fully. I had one mirror stopped somewhat towards the end once and I had to use a bit more force to unfold it entirely (I must admit it happened with an aftermarket mirror).
Please see these relevant threads from the OS/RVR forum:
Side mirror shakes
Anyone wants new side mirrors?
In case you need to replace your mirrors I would not advice you to buy aftermarket ones for the reasons specified in the thread suggested above. I would strongly recommend to look at junk yards, where you can buy them and potentially the mirror switch (btw, it is compatible with Lancer and Outlander Sport) for the fraction of the new price. Since your model is the XLS I believe you would need the version with integrated turn signal indicators (7 wires). The mirrors from OS and Outlander II can be made fit but you have to rewire the connectors as they are different (see post #12 here ).
As to whether fitting of autofolding mirrors is possible, the answer is yes but for what cost and what benefits is up to the person who wishes to enable his/her car with this amenity. I live in cold climate and gathered earlier some info from Ford, BMW, Range-Rover, Mitsubishi PHEV forums to demonstrate how winter climate hinders the operation of these. You may access this info here.
Nonetheless, you would need the mirrors with 9 wires (because it is heated, 4-way adjustable, with integrated turn signal and auto-folding) and you would need to make substantial wiring and ECU programming to enable this function. See the discussion on the OS forum on this here (see posts #14-17).
Good luck with your diagnosis and please let us know the outcome.

Attached Files
Old 05-23-2023, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
It is highly unlikely that the adjustment on both mirrors would fail at the same time. I would not recommend the mirrors to be replaced just yet. Since both mirrors are adjusted with the same four-way switch I would start the investigation with this item first. Take the driver side door panel off and explore the connections in both the mirrors and in the switch itself. Please see the attached pdf taken from the service manual for the step-by-step (or rather pin-by-pin) continuity check. Also, in your original post you may have not been specific enough: Has the range adjustment been hindered both in the up/down and left/right direction in both mirrors? If only the left/right directional adjustment is hindered check whether the mirrors are unfolded fully. I had one mirror stopped somewhat towards the end once and I had to use a bit more force to unfold it entirely (I must admit it happened with an aftermarket mirror).
Please see these relevant threads from the OS/RVR forum:
Side mirror shakes
Anyone wants new side mirrors?
In case you need to replace your mirrors I would not advice you to buy aftermarket ones for the reasons specified in the thread suggested above. I would strongly recommend to look at junk yards, where you can buy them and potentially the mirror switch (btw, it is compatible with Lancer and Outlander Sport) for the fraction of the new price. Since your model is the XLS I believe you would need the version with integrated turn signal indicators (7 wires). The mirrors from OS and Outlander II can be made fit but you have to rewire the connectors as they are different (see post #12 here ).
As to whether fitting of autofolding mirrors is possible, the answer is yes but for what cost and what benefits is up to the person who wishes to enable his/her car with this amenity. I live in cold climate and gathered earlier some info from Ford, BMW, Range-Rover, Mitsubishi PHEV forums to demonstrate how winter climate hinders the operation of these. You may access this info here.
Nonetheless, you would need the mirrors with 9 wires (because it is heated, 4-way adjustable, with integrated turn signal and auto-folding) and you would need to make substantial wiring and ECU programming to enable this function. See the discussion on the OS forum on this here (see posts #14-17).
Good luck with your diagnosis and please let us know the outcome.
This was BY FAR the most helpful information I have found on the subject - a rare THANK YOU 5+ years later for posting such awesome, thorough information.