Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Sirius Satellite Radio on Canadian Outies - SOLUTION (Updated June 25)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Default RE: Sirius Satellite Radio on Canadian Outies - SOLUTION

ORIGINAL: rdenis

You can actually order the tuner from a Canadian dealership - just give them the part number. You need to do this as it won't show up in the Canadian system as an available part unless they input the part number. Also, since all dealerships in North America are linked you can get your Canadian dealer to search US dealer inventory for the radio as they are not expecting availablity until the end of July. I managed to have my dealer locate one in Florida a couple of weeks ago and it is no problem getting them to transfer it up here (although I am still waiting for it to arrive - LOL!).
Does the kit come with an antenna or is the antenna already built in with an XLS? All Outlanders are built in Japan so the Canadian ones should be all pre-wired for Sirius since all U.S. ones are. I have a feeling it should be a plug and play affair as I also have a 2005 Dodge SRT-4 and picked up a used RB1 Navigation unit from an American Grand Cherokee and a Chrysler Sirius kit from a U.S. dealer (weren't available in Canada) and installed it all together without requiring anything from the dealer. This kit also required the VIN number to activate and even with a Canadian VIN there were no issues. The whole thing about the CAN bus is that as soon as you hook up a different accessory it communitates with and tells the ecu that its there. When I plugged in my RB1 the display immediately changed from a Jeep logo on startup to a dodge one with no changes made by me as the car's ecu tells the deck that it is hooked up to a Dodge so the display changes accordingly. I believe it should be the same for the Outlander.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:25 PM

UPDATE - my months' long quest has ended - in SUCCESS!! Woo hoo, I now have Sirius satellite radio in my Canadian XLS playing through my Canadian XLS head unit! And Mitsubishi Canada said it couldn't be done.... shame, shame!

I know some of you newbie Yanks are like WTF - trust me this has been a painful pursuit but in the end us Canucks in the frozen north at long last can claim the same freedom you have enjoyed for so long. Okay maybe that is a wee bit over the top but let's just say I am now very happy.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: rdenis

UPDATE - my months' long quest has ended - in SUCCESS!! Woo hoo, I now have Sirius satellite radio in my Canadian XLS playing through my Canadian XLS head unit! And Mitsubishi Canada said it couldn't be done.... shame, shame!

I know some of you newbie Yanks are like WTF - trust me this has been a painful pursuit but in the end us Canucks in the frozen north at long last can claim the same freedom you have enjoyed for so long. Okay maybe that is a wee bit over the top but let's just say I am now very happy.
Details please.

Can you please let us know the required accessories?

Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 PM

Given all the sh*t I had to go through to get this to work properly the solution is insanely simple. A few easy steps:

1) Get dealer to change option coding on MMCS to recognize Sirius - its is the SATR option that needs to be ENABLED.
2) Order tuner part number 8701A103
3) Wait for the cows to come home.
4) Buy Sirius antenna from anywhere Sirius is sold.
5) Cows are home? Good, connect tuner to Sirius antenna and plug in connector C-111 which is behind the glove box and usually taped up near the right fender.
6) Activate and don't enjoy 6 free months because you are Canadian. UPDATE - Actually you need to register with a US address and you will get six months free - you don't need your VIN just specify you purchased an Outie!

The reason Iput the option coding change first is that technically Mits Canada and Sirius Canada do not have a licensing agreement for 2007. Sirius Canada will be available on certain 08 models inlcuding the Outie. Your dealer may or may not be aware of this and may balk at changing citing this reason. Anyway, that is the official Mits Canada stance so YMMV. UPDATE - looks like the licensing agreement is not in place yet as you can only activate this radio on a US account.

Glove box removal is located in this thread.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:22 PM

Where did you mount the antenna?

Old 06-25-2007, 11:28 PM

Its in the center glove box for now.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 PM

How much did you pay for the tuner? Mitsubishi in Calgary wants $1363.49 CDN which is outrageous for a Sirius tuner.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:36 PM

Dealer cost (which is a bit of a misnomer) is about $1150. $1363 is retail. Tell your dealer you can get it out of the US for $776 USD. The problem is the pricing assigend by Mits NA is not necessarily the final pricing when these things become available in the mass market.

My dealer gave it to me for about the CDN dollar equivalent of the the US pricing but only because he recognized I was taking all the risk in seeing that it worked - if it didn't work I was SOL the better part of a grand.

I have no idea where the final pricing will wind up on these once they are available - my own guess is the pricing is not going to change much given how small the NA market is. I think this is the best time to talk your delaer into giving it to you for less than a grand.