Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

smell something burning

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Default smell something burning

these past few days when it started snowing here in Seattle, I also started switching to 4WD and 4WD lock. Isometimes smell something burning inside the car when driving specially uphill and outside the car whenparked. I don't know if it's clutch orbrake? obviously, i don't drive when handbrakes are engaged. anybody experiencing the same? i have '07 xls outie.

JC Dac

Old 12-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Default RE: smell something burning

I've experienced the same thing a couple of times since picking up my new Outlander and I just chalked it up to some of the wiring, etc. 'burning in'. The smell is not the same as a burnt clutch or brakes - it's more of a faint electrical smell. I've run it in 2WD, 4WD, and in 4WD Lock (in snow) for extended periods so far, and I can't really say that the burning smell was due to any of those modes in particular. How many miles do you have, and is thisthe first time you've used 4WD Lock much?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 PM

I experience the same "smell" and I am not sure what it is... I drive constantly in Auto 4WD and most of time. I don't break hard, but I usually like to speed up fast. Any idea what this smell is about?

Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 PM
tcp

When I've been driving in slush and snow, i can smell the water/dirt being burnt off the hot exhaust. Doesn't seem to happen in the rain, just snow/slush. probably the same thing now that you're driving in the snow.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 PM

I've experienced almost the exact symptoms of the first post. Ibought a new 2008 LS one week ago. First time up a local (fairly large hill) my wife called me to say there was a strong burning smell, mostly outside the doors coming from under the vehicle. By the time I got there it was gone. Since then, when I have gone up a steeper hill at slower speeds (doesn't seem to do it on the hwy) the smell is back, but doesn't seem to be as strong as the first time.

Yes the roads around here are all covered in snow, but it also did it after going up a wet road. To me it smells more like a burning clutch and I am worried that it might be the clutch pack in the 4wd system. I have tested it in 4wd and 4wd lock and no difference. Tomorrow I will test it in 2wd (which should answer if it is part of the 4wd system), then take it around to the dealer for an assessment.

I'm hoping that it is just something getting burned off by the exhaust on a new car. Climbing a hill at slower speeds will increase the exhaust temp the most.I had the Mitsu factory hitch installed by the dealer, and I've noticed that it runs fairly close to the exhaust, so maybe it is paint on the hitch burning off, but I doubt it. Do the others posting here have a factory hitch?

Old 12-31-2008, 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: AllMitsu

Do the others posting here have a factory hitch?
Yes I do.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 PM

Did my regular hill in 2wd, still got smell at top, but seems to be decreasing. At least I would think that rules out the 4wd system. Took it to the dealer and they said it wasn't uncommon to get some burning smell when new as there is shipping wax, grease and undercoating thatison the exhaust when new. Smell should go away in 3,000 to 5,000 km. They drove it a bit then inspected it, didn't see anything except some slush on the muffler, another potential source of some of the smell. Guess I will ignore and hope it goes away in a month or two. I'm also going to get some splash guards.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 AM
tcp

I've got 16k kms on mine and it still smells a bit when slushy.I doubt it is still the exhaust coatings burning off for me. Dirty water burning off the exhaust makes more sense.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 PM

Ok, so I was driving my old Chev Venture Van through the snow/slush, pulled into the garage and got out and noticed the exact same burning smell. Strange I never noticed it with the Van before, but I think the Outlander must throw more stuff from the road onto the exhaust so it happens more often. Anyways, I guess tcp was right all along and I'm not worried about it anymore.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 PM

i noticed it on mine as well. but once when there wasnt even any snow or slush or even any moisture for that matter. i just figured when they sprayed the undercoat that they might have had a little overspray on the exhaust pipe.