Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Snow chains for 08 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:55 PM

blizzak ws60s are where it's at.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
tcp
Default everyone's got a preference

Nokian Hakkapaliitta 5 or SUV
Gislaved Nord Frost 5

Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 PM

There is no absoulte if we should install chains on the Outie. You can try this, a product that claims to give better snow grip. It is no chains and they claimed that it is totally safe for tires and the drive system. You may wanna take a look at it.

http://www.carid.com/product.php?pro...t=32348&page=1

Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 AM

Are any of you guys in SoCal? What do you do when you go up the mountain and CHP forces you to put on chain or go back? Regardless even if you're AWD on snow tires? I read a lot about SCC Z6 & Shur Grip Z that seems to exceed the "S" class requirement. Anyone ever tried it on their Outie? Those 2 chains seems to be recommended on the Subaru Outback 2010 which also doesn't recommend using chains.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:18 PM

I tried to test-fit the Shur Grip Z on my 225/55/18 tires. It will not fit even if the label on the product says it will. Luckily Winchester allowed me to return them within 24 hours for a full refund. So baring my experience, I would not waste time with Grip Z 6. Tell me how the the Z6 fit if you do decide to purchase them and if you have the same size tires.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:41 PM

mrdang,
It didn't fit because the cable not long enough or it's not giving enough clearance? If cable not long enough, did you try the next size up? I think the size for 225/55/18 is SZ339, right? That is too bad, I was leaning toward the Shur Grip over Z6 because I read Z6 is more difficult to install and it cost more too.

I have 225/55/18 tire as well, but not the OEM anymore. I read that even with same tire size, the actual diameter of the tire may varies from one model/manufacture to another. So SCC recommended trying the next size up if it is because cable not long enough.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 PM

It didn't fit because the cable not long enough or it's not giving enough clearance? If cable not long enough, did you try the next size up
It didn't fit because the cable was not long enough. After I joined the link together at the bottom and the link behind the tire, I then proceeded to link the chains together in the front. As much tug and pull in trying to reduce the slack, I could only get within a 0.5 to 1 inches of gap.

I didn't go the next size up. I didn't they made several sizes for our tire. Once I returned the chains, I took my chances in driving up north. Luckily the weather was not bad enough to warrant snow chains or a checkpoint.

I will be making another trip up though. This time, I will bring snow chains. I should have written down the model I bought. Maybe its still on my receipt. I'll let you know.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM

mrdang, which tire do you have? I have the Yokohama Geolander AT/S, so I'm guessing this tire has bigger diameter than the OEM Eagle. It would be helpful if you can find out which size did you buy. I'm gonna need to ask SCC which one is the next size up.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:38 PM

I have the Eagle LS-2. I researched both tires. LS-2 has a 9.2" width while the Geo has 9.1" width. Both have a diameter of 27.8". So basically, you should be okay if you get the chains made for 255/55/18 - if not you could get 260/55/18. Can the place you order it from allow you to test fit them and return it for full refund if it doesn't fit?

I tried looking for the receipt, but I threw it away a week ago.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM

mrdang & joxong

I am also looking at the SCC Super Z6 and Shur Grip Z chains..... since I'm using 235/55/18 tires the chain models I'm looking at are SZ343 for the Shur Grip and SZ143 for the Super Z6. But since reading mrdang's experience on fitting these chains now I'm not sure if I should follow the sizing table of SCC.. my tires are Yokohama Avid V4S - width is 9.6" and with a diameter of 28.2"....

Is the sizing chart of SCC not that reliable? Are there any other brands you could recommend?
Snow tires are out of the question since I am in SoCal....

Quick Reply: Snow chains for 08 Outlander